Par/Auto Par operations, Just D/L headers based on time.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Par/Auto Par operations, Just D/L headers based on time.

Postby eclapwannabe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:28 am

If Newsbin 64 assembles or condenses the WinZip Archive file correctly I do not have a problem. I am not blaming NB64 for that to happen. It depends upon how the poster assembled the archive with the par files.
But when Newsbin cannot figure out how to assemble all the pieces of a pared file is when I have a problem. It is not really a problem is that I have more work to do to clean up that particular post.

When a poster does not follow conventional par file rules(if rules do apply here) this is what happens. The thread will show the individual pieces of the archive split and the par files separately. If not all the files are there or they are late getting assembled I end up with duplicate files. I will have a couple files of that thread on my default main download folder and the whole archive complete in the unrar folder.

Is there away to prevent this? Or is this one of the idiosyncrasies of the process that I am just going to have to deal with? Hence no real solution. I know there is one solution is to cutoff assembling/reassembling automatically and do it manually. Which is what I had to do when I used X-news. But it is a pain in the wazhoo.

2nd part of this query. Can I limit the number of files that get loaded from a news server? There are a few newsgroups that have multiple million headers but the only post that I am interested in are the older post. All their newer post are junk.

TIA
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Par/Auto Par operations, Just D/L headers based on time.

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:21 am

I'm unclear what your process is. How are you even encountering these old posts?

If you're only interested in old posts, why not load the group, add them one time and then never revisit these old posts again? Old posts never change except that they eventually start to decay.

I get this weird feeling that you're re-downloading headers over and over again.

2nd part of this query. Can I limit the number of files that get loaded from a news server? There are a few newsgroups that have multiple million headers but the only post that I am interested in are the older post. All their newer post are junk.

This is automatic. If only ever downloads new headers unless you manually force it to download old headers.

If I read between the lines, it's sounding like you're re-downloading old headers over and over again in the hopes they'll change.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support