Local searches of past 3 months not showing

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Local searches of past 3 months not showing

Postby LazerMech » Sun May 08, 2016 12:08 am

I've been having issues for the past 3-4 months with local search results. I have Kaspersky but it's set to allow Newsbin (I've had Kaspersky for 5+ years and this problem has only occurred earlier this year). I've been trying new betas and new releases (currently have 6.70) and none have remedied the problem. Local searches only show results from 3+ months back. I don't recall what release it was, but there was a release 3 or so months ago that had a new interface (and lost the wish list info) and from then my local searches haven't been showing new posts.

Any help would be much appreciated, hopefully it's an easy fix.
LazerMech
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/01/11

Re: Local searches of past 3 months not showing

Postby Quade » Sun May 08, 2016 12:11 am

1 - Pick a group, right click and "Show all Posts". See how many days worth of headers you have.

2 - Prior to searching. Make sure that there is not age filter set. It's the 7th field from the left.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby LazerMech » Sun May 08, 2016 12:36 am

"Show All Posts" only shows posts that are older than 118 days. The only groups that show newer posts are groups that I did a "Download All Headers" to after I started having this problem; needless to say I only did that with a few smaller groups because I didn't want to download hundreds of gigs of headers again.

Is there anything I can do to avoid having to download all the headers again to resolve the problem?
LazerMech
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun May 08, 2016 11:58 am

I'd set a 3 month "download age" then right click a problem group and select "Post Storage/Delete Stored Posts" then download headers normally. That group should download "Download Age" days worth of headers.

If you look down at the "cache" line where is shows "Cache X/Y (N)" do you show a number in N?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby LazerMech » Sun May 08, 2016 11:39 pm

I tried your suggestion for one group but now it shows no posts when I do a "Show all posts" for that group. Newsbin has been much laggier for me so since this problem started occurring, maybe if I wait long enough the posts will show up, so far it's been 5 minutes and nothing has shown up and no activity bar.

N = 10571
LazerMech
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon May 09, 2016 12:03 am

If I had to guess. I'd guess that header import is completely stuck and that's why you're having a problem with "no new headers".

1 - I'd select "Open Data Folder" inside Newsbin's options. .

2 - I'd go into the import folder, then select and move all the GZ files in there to a new folder.

3 - Not all will move but that's OK. Now exit Newsbin and delete the file that wouldn't move.

4 - Start Newsbin.

5 - Feed say 100 of the GZ's back into the import folder and see if they import.

My guess is that those 10,000 GZ files represent the last couple months of header downloads and that one of them was corrupt preventing the rest from importing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby LazerMech » Mon May 09, 2016 2:45 am

That worked (we'll see if it clears the remaining 10k+ files). A single gz file was corrupt and that put a halt to the rest. Would it be possible in future releases to have the client skip gz files that were corrupt (and perhaps delete corrupted gz files; some sort of timeout)?

I was wondering what that number in parenthesis meant.
LazerMech
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support