Suddenly header processing is slow as molasses (6.60B10)

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Suddenly header processing is slow as molasses (6.60B10)

Postby saintsinner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:58 pm

In the last few days I've noticed that NB 6.60 B10 has gotten incredibly slow at processing headers for display (even once the headers are already downloaded and have been displayed, e.g reloading 1 days worth of headers.) This is mostly apparently in a.b.multimedia (29.92GB in total headers there prior to compacting) but even a.b.teevee (7.77GB) seems to have taken a monster step backwards in terms of speed (a.b.teevee takes ~3 minutes to load 1 day's worth of headers (1147 "posts")

I've checked the event logs, and ran a surface scan on the hard drive that stores the headers, neither shows any problems however displaying just one day's worth of headers for a.b.mm takes 7 minutes where it used to be able to process MM, Teevee and several other similar groups at once within 2 minutes. It seems like whatever fix was done to fix boneless may have borked other aspects. My next step will be to move the headers location, but as the headers are ~220GB, I'd prefer not to have to do that ;)

Additionally since about B8 I've noticed the duplicate detector is finding duplicates where none exist (it gets midway through downloading something before failing it saying a duplicate was found, you then have to readd it to the list bipassing filters for it to successfully download. Maybe 1% of files hit this. Very much a minor issue.)
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Re: Suddenly header processing is slow as molasses (6.60B10)

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:19 pm

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=38134

I mention it here. Reduce your "display age" or revert to an older version. It'll be fixed in the next beta. It's actually loading twice.

I wonder if the error message is just wrong? I'll bet it's supposed to say "retries exceeded".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby saintsinner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Note I (and presumably others) can't see the linked post (it gives the error "Information You are not authorised to read this forum.") However, I'll reduce the display age down and see if that helps, otherwise I'll revert back a few betas. And of course awesome that it will be fixed in the next Beta :) Thanks!

Edit:
Was using a display age of 1 (day) so can't go any lower, however after reverting back to B7 and compacting headers (saved 237MB) it now takes the usual 10 seconds to read all of the headers in my tv subgroup (abmm and many others) including the same headers that were taking b10 multiple minutes to read. The difference in header reading is not remotely linear, so I think it's reading the headers considerably more than just twice...

Cheers.
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:20 am

You probably got that error from the link because you haven't entered you key into the forum.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support