Red Flag Waving I have been Whopped

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Red Flag Waving I have been Whopped

Postby eclapwannabe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:09 am

I guess I am just not smart enough for this program. Though I worked Retail for almost 30 years with a major electronics retailer. I spent a better part of 23 years handling a myriad of computer hardware problems. I have managed a store with 12 employees. I have a Masters of Divinity with Languages that include Greek and Hebrew.

I am beginning to think that NBP is not the program for me. I have been using it since Dec 2012.
The program works great with a limited number of days. Maybe around 1100 days, That number was good in the old days. We were lucky to get 6-9 months worth of back days. I have been using Usenet since early 2000's. I started out using windows email program. Woefully inadequate and all par files, split-files, joined files, Yenc files and only a Single Media Player to play media files WMP. Then I graduated to X-news. It did a lot of things for you but since it only has a single connection multi-part files
take FOREVER.

I just don't understand WHY I set the DOWNLOAD AGE TO 2200 and Display age to 2190 and several of the larger newsgroup groups(Large because they can have up to 5-6 mil post) will only display around 1100 days worth of post.

I just updated a group that I haven't looked at since July. I was with Supernews and Supernews could only deliver about 550 days worth of post mostly complete. I increased my D/L age to 2200 and Display age to 2190. I looked at the downloading files screen and it showed about 3.5 mil post. I waited about 20 minutes so it had time to finish populating the screen for that group. The group shows the first date as 09.16.11 and that translates into 1092 days old. I go to X-news and it shows first aged post 08.16.08 which is 2212 days old. Why is a MUCH SLICKER proven more powerful program only showing 1092 days worth of files and my freebie program showing the expected dates?

Usenet should be fun. I have fun using usenet. I am not having fun now. Newsbin Pro does a much better job of handling multipart files and then does the combining automatically. When I use Xnews everything is manual.

I am beginning to think that Newsbin Pro is good for Nzb searches and downloading files. I do not think it was designed for groups that have between 1.0 mil to 5.0 mil post. I am very sad because I have invested a lot of time and energy in this program and you have been patient with me. I guess my only recourse is to look at NewsRover. A freebee from The Cubenet.
ECWB
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Red Flag Waving I have been Whopped

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 am

I just updated a group that I haven't looked at since July. I was with Supernews and Supernews could only deliver about 550 days worth of post mostly complete. I increased my D/L age to 2200 and Display age to 2190. I looked at the downloading files screen and it showed about 3.5 mil post. I waited about 20 minutes so it had time to finish populating the screen for that group. The group shows the first date as 09.16.11 and that translates into 1092 days old. I go to X-news and it shows first aged post 08.16.08 which is 2212 days old. Why is a MUCH SLICKER proven more powerful program only showing 1092 days worth of files and my freebie program showing the expected dates?

I've explained this to you at least once. I don't remember you replying to that though.

1 - Lets say you have a storage room that's 10x10. You filled it with stuff so, it's full.

2 - You move your stuff to a 20x20 room. Do you have more stuff now?

That's basically what you did when you increased the download age. You didn't add more stuff. You just moved it to a bigger room.

If you want to fill the 20x20 room, ie want to see 2100 day old posts. You have to re-download the headers. Newsbin doesn't work backwards, it works forwards. It ONLY fills in the new files since the last time you downloaded headers. It doesn't use "Download age" on existing groups.

Right click one group, select "Download all Headers" see what happens.

The "Display Age" is what's making your computer groan. I'd set it back to 60. Then load the groups with "Load Special" to load segments of the older posts in the group. If you had a powerful computer, you could load the whole group. You computer is no slouch but, 2100 days worth of data is a bunch of data.

What you have on your pc is a COPY of the headers that are on the server. It's an incomplete copy until you download all the headers again.

I am beginning to think that Newsbin Pro is good for Nzb searches and downloading files. I do not think it was designed for groups that have between 1.0 mil to 5.0 mil post. I am very sad because I have invested a lot of time and energy in this program and you have been patient with me. I guess my only recourse is to look at NewsRover. A freebee from The Cubenet.
ECWB

You're basically running into a wall because you don't understand how Newsbin stores headers and my attempts to explain it to you have failed. I use Newsbin for headers exclusively. I have maybe 2500 days worth stored. I can call them up and search them at any time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support