Does newsbin prevent a computer from hibernating?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Does newsbin prevent a computer from hibernating?

Postby flat_beer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:11 am

With newsbin running does it prevent a computer from hibernating? If so is there a way to turn off that feature and let the computer hibernate?

I had a power outage this morning and after 20 min. I decided I should just hibernate the computer. It didn't go into hibernation. So I closed newsbin (and a couple of other programs) and then the computer would hibernate.... I'm just wondering if it was newsbin or something else.... and if it's newsbin then is there a way to allow hibernation? I don't see it in any of the settings. I know that some people don't want to allow hibernation while while downloading. My PC runs 24x7 so the only time I hibernate is for a power outage.

(The good part about the power outage is that my 15+ year old TripLite 1400VA UPS (with 1 year old batteries) ran the computer just fine. The active power factor power supply didn't seem to have any problems.)

Thank you
flat_beer
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/14/03

Re: Does newsbin prevent a computer from hibernating?

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:27 am

If it's actively downloading it'll prevent it from sleeping. If it's just idle it shouldn't.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rassafratz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Quade is right, a laptop running active tasks should not be going into hibernation.

flat_beer wrote:(The good part about the power outage is that my 15+ year old TripLite 1400VA UPS (with 1 year old batteries) ran the computer just fine. The active power factor power supply didn't seem to have any problems.)

This makes no sense.

First off, why would you find it remarkable that your triplite "ran the computer just fine"? If your laptop draws, say 100W, then your 1400W triplite should power it just fine for roughly 14 hours.

But then you refer to an "active power factor power supply", something you're extremely unlikely to have on a laptop, so I'm left scratching my head as to how or why you're trying to put a PC into hibernation?
rassafratz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/13

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:59 pm

A laptop is really its own UPS too. So, during a power outage, the UPS should keep the battery charged and when the UPS dies, you should still continue running in the laptop battery till it dies.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support