Increasing Download and Diisplay Age

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Increasing Download and Diisplay Age

Postby eclapwannabe » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:57 pm

I have a new Usenet Service which is a block account. The Usenet Service is very reliable and what it
shows as being on their servers is actually there. I have increased the Display and Download age to around 2100 days. While the post ages have increased to around 860 days NBP will not Display any post aged older. What am I doing wrong? Will I need to delete storage for all the groups I monitor and start
all over again? I know that older post are there because they show up under X-news.

I will be dropping SN and adding Astraweb at the end of the month. Will I need to reload a new Master
group list?

Tia

ECWB
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Increasing Download and Diisplay Age

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Increasing the download and storage age does nothing to an existing group with headers. Increasing the storage age will let current groups grow larger but, it's not going to automatically download headers you don't already have.

You basically have 2 choices

1 - "Download all Headers"

2 - Right click the group "Post Storage/Use Download Age" then download headers which will use the new download age. Then you can delete the header download when it downloads into your current headers date range.

Then after that set a short "Download Age", "Use Download Age" again and let the group update to the current time.

I'd use the second method because if you watch it, you can just download say 1000 days worth to fill in the old headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:48 am

While waiting for a reply I selected purge store post and just reloaded all the headers for just one group.
For that group it goes back to the new older storage date. I am afraid to download all headers because
some groups I like to monitor have billion headers and I do not want all the header storage on my computer. I am going to be selective on which groups I am going to allow the increased age range.
Xnews is a slow going program but it does allow me to just download a certain amount of headers at a time instead of filling up my hard drive. etc. Using binsearch and large header groups and timedate webpage I can manipulate the headers temporary instead of permanent storage.

ECWB
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:53 am

Disk space is cheap and getting cheaper. Time and Bandwidth, not so much. Newsbin's goal is to let you download headers once and not keep downloading them over and over again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:52 pm

This is just a comment not a complaint or a query.

I do not need to do anything as far as the post/headers are concerned. Once the post are D/L from the other provider than all I need is right there.

It pays to be careful when setting up a new server. I haven't memorized the new information yet
and I think I tried to set things up late at night. You know when you have a new device you want to start
playing with it. We only go back to the instructions when things go south.

I just wish I could get the hang of local search but that will be another problem for another day

Thanks for all the assistance.

ECWB
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support