NZB files launch Newsbin but don't open

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NZB files launch Newsbin but don't open

Postby Maskawisewin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:17 am

Hey there. Ever since I updated to 6.52.3289 I can no longer load NZB files. The only way it works is to open them up manually via menu commands/shortcut. They used to just open up in the download window. I have the option to automatically download double clicked NZB files enabled and no filter is enabled on load. Nothing changed in my configuration except the upgrade from 6.51 stable to the current stable release. I tried turning off the double click to open option, saving, exiting, opening Newsbin and toggling it back on with no success. Any ideas? NZB files are properly associated with Newsbin. When you double click on a NZB file Newsbin will launch but do nothing with the file. I have tried half a dozen different NZB files with varying content.
Maskawisewin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/12/12

Re: NZB files launch Newsbin but don't open

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:11 am

Hmm not seeing it here.

How about double-clicking an NZB then hitting the pause button when Newsbin comes up then look in the logging tab

[07:10:10] HIGH PAR Pausing: Enabled
[07:10:10] HIGH Par2Repair - Multi-core 1.5
[07:10:10] HIGH MessageId Filter: Enabled
[07:10:10] HIGH FileType Version: 2.01
[07:10:12] DEBUG NZB File Load Notification: X:\NZBs to test\Asian Today.nzb Disposition: 1
[07:10:12] DEBUG NZB File Load Notification Processing: X:\NZBs to test\Asian Today.nzb Disposition: 1

Is what I saw when I double-clicked an NZB.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Maskawisewin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:58 am

It says the same thing as yours. Except there is no need to pause because nothing appears in the download window.

Interestingly I tried loading another NZB file and it worked. Then I realized the difference between all the NZB files I've been trying to load have been from nzb.su. The NZB file that worked was created from within Newsbin.
Maskawisewin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Maskawisewin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:11 am

I've done a bit more testing and this is the issue I'm coming across. NZB files created outside of newsbin from multiple sites parse but do not load. NZB files created from within Newsbin parse and load.
Maskawisewin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Maskawisewin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:49 am

3rd update: Now I'm not sure what to believe. I just had a file from nzb.su work correctly so the issue is intermittent at this point. I'll update if I narrow it down more or continues to cause issues.
Maskawisewin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:34 am

You can email some of the nzb's that don't work to ts@newsbin.com and I'll check them out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maskawisewin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:23 am

I uninstalled Newsbin, reinstalled, set up everything again and the loading issue persisted. I just picked random ones from nzb.su with some working and some not. Which files worked and did not is consistent meaning a file that did work will always work and vice versa. There hasn't been a situation where one worked and then suddenly did not. To reiterate, this is a failure of Newsbin to load files and populate the download window when double clicked from windows explorer or when opened from a browser. Loading the files manually through the Newsbin menu works fine-- even though it does introduce a couple more steps into the process.

Out of frustration I downgraded from 6.52 to 6.51 and everything works fine again so it is a 6.52 bug.
Maskawisewin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:38 am

To reiterate, this is a failure of Newsbin to load files and populate the download window when double clicked from windows explorer or when opened from a browser. Loading the files manually through the Newsbin menu works fine-- even though it does introduce a couple more steps into the process.

That's some useful detail. I'll focus on double-clicking then.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maskawisewin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:18 am

I looked for a 6.53 changelog but didn't see one. Were you able to reproduce this issue in 6.52 and did the fix make its way into 6.53? I don't mind sitting at 6.51 but wouldn't mind moving up in the next minor release.
Maskawisewin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:31 pm

I can't remember if you ever emailed me some.

If not, you might want to so I can try it.

I'd run the latest and see what happens too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support