RC1 - problem with incomplete files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

RC1 - problem with incomplete files

Postby CoolStream » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:17 am

OK, here's the situation:

All parts of a post have downloaded but some are marked as being incomplete.
All PARS have also been downloaded and one is marked as being incomplete.

THEN nothing more appears to be going on (left for 15 mins)

I then highlight all the broken RARs and tell newsbin to create them anyway
The new RARs are then marked as being in need of repair.
I leave it then for 15 mins and newsbin appears to be stuck again, so I have to manually tell the broken RAR to be created anyway.

THEN newsbin becomes active again and starts to download more PARs and then creates the complete MKV.

Similar to the poster of this message, I am wondering if there is something in the settings that I have overlooked to get newsbin to download incompletes if there are enough PARs to cover the deficit.
CoolStream
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: RC1 - problem with incomplete files

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:16 am

How many retries do you have set?

The fact all the pars download suggest Newsbin isn't getting any good pars so, there's no parid. This essentially disables autopar. Are all the PAR files incomplete?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby CoolStream » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Retries is set at 2 ( I don't think I have tampered with it since install)

The fact all the pars download suggest Newsbin isn't getting any good pars so, there's no parid.

That's what I thought too initially. However, in answer to your next question, you will see that the PARs were in fact sound.

This essentially disables autopar.

I suppose that makes sense on paper but only if all the downloaded PARs were being checked. Because I was watching the machine and making a manual override, I got an idea of what was being done.

i.e. Only after I had told newsbin to release incomplete files did par checking appear to be being done. A PAR file with enough parts to carry out the work was selected for download but stalled because that happened to be the only incomplete PAR. I was willing it to see that there were complete PARs to fix the broken RARs, but it seemed to stubbornly refuse to use any other but the one it had chosen.

Are all the PAR files incomplete?

No. There were about twelve PARs of various sizes. The broken PAR was mid-range in size. And it was only after manually selecting 'download incomplete file' that newsbin pulled in another PAR and within a few minutes, crisis was averted. I ruled out manually telling newsbin to download a different PAR because I wanted my diagnostic to be as clean as possible.

So, the PARs that were used were able to do the work after I had told it to download incompletes (twice throughout the process). The PARs appear to have been vindicated and maybe diagnose what made newsbin so bloody minded.
CoolStream
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby itimpi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Were the retries exhausted before you forced the Assemble? If there were any outstanding then files would not be auto-assembled. what value do you have set for the number of retries - high ones are likely to never complete.

I have a feeling there is another thing that can stop auto-assembly - that is the files being very new? I think there is a period (24 hours I believe) that if the files are newer than the value files are not auto-assembled on the basis that new parts may still arrive.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Newsbin won't auto-assemble incompletes until it has at least 90% of the file set downloaded. The assumption being that you can't get at least 90%, you probably can't repair the set. That's something you could look at.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support