New Watch Topics Not Working?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

New Watch Topics Not Working?

Postby mountainsoft » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:24 pm

I'm using NewsBin 6.51 Build 3159, and have a list of 22 Watch Topics.

The ones I have added in the last couple weeks or so are not finding any matching posts. If I search the same post in the unsorted list, the files have been posted.

I get the same results whether I'm using single word searches like "brew" (no quotes), or multiple word searches like "deadliest hangers".

For some reason, none of my new watch topics are working, but the ones I defined months ago still work fine?

On another note, is there any way to have the watch topics highlighted in the main unsorted list? I usually look at the watch topics, then see the same posts again when I'm searching through the unsorted list. It would be nice if they could just be highlighted in the main list that I scan anyway.
mountainsoft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/14

Re: New Watch Topics Not Working?

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Do you have a specific count of the ones that work? I have about 36 and they all seem to be collecting.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mountainsoft » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Quade wrote:Do you have a specific count of the ones that work?

I have 22 watch topics total, and the two most recent have not been showing any matches.

This morning, one of the watches showed a new match (some shit we don't mention).

Do watch topics only work on newly downloaded headers?

It doesn't appear they work with headers I have already downloaded? I tried reloading the old headers from disk, but the watch topics didn't find matches I already know are in the archived headers.

Basically, I had been overlooking a topic I was interested in, so I added it to my watch topics. But it's not finding the topics in the headers I've already downloaded from the last 90 days?
mountainsoft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Basically, I had been overlooking a topic I was interested in, so I added it to my watch topics. But it's not finding the topics in the headers I've already downloaded from the last 90 days?

Isn't how it works.

Watch topics only work on newly downloaded headers. They're "watching" the header download. You can right click one and force it to re-scan the headers. "Rescan Topic". Works best if you're making it look only in the sets of groups that might have the data. If you only have 90 days stored, this might not matter. I have 2000 so, it really pays to make the rescan only look in likely groups.

Twice now you've mentioned what you're looking for in your posts. That's against the rules here. I didn't say anything the first time so, I am now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mountainsoft » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:43 pm

Quade wrote:Watch topics only work on newly downloaded headers. They're "watching" the header download.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying how that feature works.

Quade wrote:Twice now you've mentioned what you're looking for in your posts. That's against the rules here.

Oops, sorry, I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know, and for the edits. :)
mountainsoft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support