Search no longer working

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Search no longer working

Postby iwiied » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 am

I have been a subscriber to the search service for a while. after upgrading to v6. the search is no longer reliable.
i'll pick a random example, searching for "----" returns different result than doing the same thing on binsearch info. with the later being more accurate and relevant
Last edited by iwiied on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iwiied
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/14/07

Re: Search no longer working

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:55 am

I'll ask dex to step in. He's Mr Search.

You might want to try setting a minimum size filter to clean out the cruft. How large are the files you're looking for?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby iwiied » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:01 am

it was a random example. to answer your question, regardless of size. i didn't set a min size, i've just now tried to set it to 5k just to have a value but that didn't help. I was expect the result from the search tab and that from binsearch to be similar, which was infact the behavior before v6
iwiied
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/14/07

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am

I'm talking about setting a 100-200 meg min size filter. If you're looking for larger files, set a larger min size filter.

My guess is you're getting 2000 results which is the max you get per search. By using something generic like "cbt" you collect all sorts of matching junk.

You want to PM me some specific examples that you can't find, I can look at it. Don't post it here. I expect the issue is that there's so much matching stuff but, not what you're looking for, because this search string is so generic, you'd just getting flooded with results. Our search catalogs everything on usenet. There's no categories as such so, having a good search string is important.

You can also tell it to only report results from specific groups. You'd subscribe to the groups, make a new "Topic" in the groups list and add the groups you want to search to this topic. Then select the topic before you search. You're getting results from 2000+ groups. Focusing on the groups that have your content will always give you better results.

I'm not suggesting search can't be improved, I'm just not seeing the problem yet. It could be that spam eliminator is removing these files and we'll have to tweek it. I just don't have enough information to determine if anything is wrong.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:54 pm

We resolved this over PM. Search was set to "Poster" and the posting guy changed his "Poster" address.

It's all good now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support