maybe not loading groups correctly???

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

maybe not loading groups correctly???

Postby beany » Fri May 30, 2014 4:00 am

332 days is my newest article when hdr download on a.b.lossless.
Is that correct? I feel sure this group would have recent updates. If not any ideas why I may not be updating correctly?
I have tried deleting the group then downloading all headers and I think this lost stuff even more so.
thanks
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: maybe not loading groups correctly???

Postby Quade » Fri May 30, 2014 8:37 am

I'm seeing files up to the second. Look down at the status bar where it says "Cache" do you see a number in parens? "(XX)"?

If yes, Newsbin is importing headers still. I have a feeling you have a bunch of headers to import and it simply hasn't finished. If you have the number, how about telling me what it is?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby beany » Fri May 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Quade wrote:I'm seeing files up to the second. Look down at the status bar where it says "Cache" do you see a number in parens? "(XX)"?

If yes, Newsbin is importing headers still. I have a feeling you have a bunch of headers to import and it simply hasn't finished. If you have the number, how about telling me what it is?

no not a problem there. 200/200 (0)
when pressing download the latets group updates they appear as size 0/0 downloading but for less than 2-3 seconds with nothing appearing in the progress bar.

I dont understand what it is wrong - everything seems to be okay with sickbeard downloads. But I also gaping holes in other groups too.
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Fri May 30, 2014 10:33 pm

Right click the group "Download all Headers". See what happens. I'm downloading headers from Astraweb.

What server are you using?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby beany » Fri May 30, 2014 11:31 pm

Quade wrote:Right click the group "Download all Headers". See what happens. I'm downloading headers from Astraweb.

What server are you using?

I'm using supernews and its the same after download all header and the same after deleting the group adding it back and downloading all headers.

What happens when a post is deleted? How does it come back? I'm wondering if some posts were deleted during some previous tests.
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Sounds to me like a server problem. You might want to contact them about it. Deleted posts are completely restored when you "Download all Headers".

If your PC's date and time are way off, you might see strange things like this too. If the server isn't showing much progress during the header download,it's probably a server issue. I watched 7 million posts download when I did it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby beany » Sat May 31, 2014 9:32 pm

I turned off headers from supernews and on for astraweb.
I deleted the group a.b.lossless and then re added it.
I selected the group in grouplists tab and right click selelected download all headers.
After a few minutes all the headers were downloaded and buffers clear.

this time the post went back 2004 days (i guess astra has higher retention) but still the last were 322 days. Total showing on the tab are (46359).

PC date is correct with online sync

the lates file I get is this
<some shit of which we don't speak>
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat May 31, 2014 9:45 pm

At this point I don't know. I'll ask Dex to try it and see what happens to him. It's working perfectly here.

You might want to see if your virus scanner is messing with the downloads or the gz file in the "import" folder. You might want to look in the import folder after a header download and see if you see any stray files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby beany » Sat May 31, 2014 10:05 pm

Quade wrote:At this point I don't know. I'll ask Dex to try it and see what happens to him. It's working perfectly here.

You might want to see if your virus scanner is messing with the downloads or the gz file in the "import" folder. You might want to look in the import folder after a header download and see if you see any stray files.

not sure what you mean by stray.
there are lots of files like this
alt.binaries.lossless-astrawebbeany-7222482-7871020
alt.binaries.lossless-astrawebbeany-3222482-4222482

edit....
I just deleted a.b.sounds.lossless.country and re-downloaded all the headers and displayed all the files. previously I had files 0 days but now after the new download all I only get files after 4days.
The issue seems to be happening to all my groups if I delete and reinstate them.
thnx

oh and lots of files as above in the import folder for lossless.county too - ( the import folder is holding over 5000 files starting from way back last year)
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat May 31, 2014 11:26 pm

lt.binaries.lossless-astrawebbeany-7222482-7871020
alt.binaries.lossless-astrawebbeany-3222482-4222482

You've found the issue. Your header downloads are never completing. That's what these are, partial header downloads that never finished so, they aren't getting renamed to GZ. How about disabling "XFeatures" in the server advanced options and trying again? if that works then your virus scanner/firewall is probably stopping the download. It doesn't like something in the compressed data (which is just text so, it's a false positive).

Newsbin retries header downloads but, if the V scanner/firewall keeps messing with the download, it might never finish.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby beany » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 am

I have added newsbinpro64.exe to the exclude processes table in the antivirus and this seems to be working well.
Do you think I'll need to add sqllite3 too?
Thanks
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Newsbin doesn't use Sqlite3 for anything. It's for you to look at the database files if you want to.

So, I'd say no.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support