Downloading in HDD with limited free space

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Downloading in HDD with limited free space

Postby g51 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Recently i've been downloading some NZB's containing rar files and unraring them (AutoPAR/RAR enabled) in a folder with limited free space (all NB data folders are in the same drive). It seems that many of the rars where partially unrared. I did not get any error message other than some messages reporting that the drive had less than 200MB (i think) of free space and that downloading was paused. I made some free space and continued downloading.

I ended up having several partial files but i'm not 100% certain that the cause was the drive's limited free space, i'm just guessing here. Perhaps during UNRAR process, the drive became full. I can't be sure though because i got no error message and i discovered this after getting several rars. Also, i never actually noticed the drive getting to 0% free (after the unraring of the files was complete).

My AutoPAR settings (the enabled ones only):

- Automatically UNRAR (including "Remove repaired")
- Delete RARS and PARs
- Pause PARS
- Aggressive assembly mode

All others checkboxes are not checked.

I'm reporting that as an issue, expecting an error message if something goes wrong (i.e drive full) in all steps of such a case (downloading, PAR fixing, UnRARing).
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/16/11

Re: Downloading in HDD with limited free space

Postby Quade » Sun May 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Recently i've been downloading some NZB's containing rar files and unraring them (AutoPAR/RAR enabled) in a folder with limited free space (all NB data folders are in the same drive). It seems that many of the rars where partially unrared. I did not get any error message other than some messages reporting that the drive had less than 200MB (i think) of free space and that downloading was paused. I made some free space and continued downloading.

This has been reported a couple times already. It's on my list to check. It looks like the code that does the unrar doesn't notice if it runs out of space. You basically need at least 3 times the size of the RAR set free on the hard disk to ensure there's enough space.

1 - Repair can double-the size of the set (potentially).

2 - Unrar needs enough space for the source rars and enough for the destination files.

I'm going to call what you're doing "not recommended". If you set Newsbin to delete to the recycle bin (and the recycle bin is big enough) you ought to be able to recover any failed unrars though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby g51 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:44 am

Quade wrote:I'm going to call what you're doing "not recommended".

Well, i guess that would be rather correct characterization. It's possible for all applications to behave strangely when having little space to play with.

Quade wrote:If you set Newsbin to delete to the recycle bin

I didn't do that in order to preserve the little free space the disk has. I was expecting NB to throw some warnings when it was out of space, which it didn't. Now that i know of that, i'll be more careful. I hope it's fixed soon though.

Thanks for the info.
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby itimpi » Mon May 12, 2014 4:43 am

The problem with unRAR not reporting a problem when it runs out of space has been there for some time so I would not expect a quick fix.

The way I handle this is to set the free space limit at which Newsbin stops downloading to be more than the largest item I want to unRAR as described here in the User Guide. That way you at least get a warning that you are getting low before the lost file problem occurs.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby g51 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:50 am

Nice. I thought of altering this setting but i couldn't find it in the UI and didn't think to search in the .NBI. I guess i gave up too quickly. :)

Thanks for the info.
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support