v6.51 Rename issues? Newsbin leaves a bunch of .nb2 files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

v6.51 Rename issues? Newsbin leaves a bunch of .nb2 files

Postby mathesar » Fri May 09, 2014 11:49 pm

I've posted about this once before but was never really able to resolve my issue, sometimes I'm left with .nb2 files in the directory and it wont assemble / par / unrar etc. it just leaves them that way.

When looking at the directory it seems to be a rename issue but not sure how I would prevent this? It happens pretty often so I'm guessing I have a setting wrong (I'm hoping at least).

Screenshot below is one example of many, and not to put down newsbin in anyway (i've been a paid member for years and prefer it) but I tried downloading this same archive with a trial version of another client and it didn't have any problems assembling it.

<Image removed, tos violation>
Intel i7 920 @ 3.36GHz
12GB DDR3
EVGA Geforce GTX480 1.5GB
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic / Logitech Z5500's
Win 7 64bit
mathesar
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/03/03

Re: v6.51 Rename issues? Newsbin leaves a bunch of .nb2 file

Postby dexter » Sat May 10, 2014 2:46 pm

I was able to download this without a problem (I removed the image as it is against the rules to post details about what you are downloading).

If Newsbin is generating .nb2 files, it's running out of cache or something. My entire download occurred in memory. When this is happening to you, what does your Cache status say at the bottom of the screen? It would look something like "Cache: 180/200 (0)". If it is running out of cache "Cache: 0/200 (0)" it could be due to a disk I/O bottleneck. Are you downloading to a slow external drive or something? I also wonder if some antivirus software is interfering.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mimauk » Sat May 10, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm running the latest beta and get a couple of nb2 files left every now and again - it's not consistent just the odd time or two, maybe once a week or so.

Another thing that happens is that the temporary unrar folders are not deleted after the unrar process - but this only happens with one particular poster in one group. The post does unrar to it's own folder but the temp folder is not deleted afterwards - maybe it's the way the poster rars up his files.

I'll PM Dex with the poster and group if you guys want to investigate it.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby dexter » Sat May 10, 2014 3:02 pm

The temp folders should get cleared out within a couple of days. There may have been an issue in that version. You could try 6.52 beta and see if it behaves better. http://www.newsbin.com/beta.php
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mathesar » Sat May 10, 2014 3:46 pm

dexter wrote:I was able to download this without a problem (I removed the image as it is against the rules to post details about what you are downloading).

If Newsbin is generating .nb2 files, it's running out of cache or something. My entire download occurred in memory. When this is happening to you, what does your Cache status say at the bottom of the screen? It would look something like "Cache: 180/200 (0)". If it is running out of cache "Cache: 0/200 (0)" it could be due to a disk I/O bottleneck. Are you downloading to a slow external drive or something? I also wonder if some antivirus software is interfering.

No anti-virus software is installed, download directory is an internal SATA 1.5TB Samsung drive, PC has 12GB ram, Win 7 64, The "other" trial client I tried is downloading to the same drive & directory without issue, maybe I need to try reinstalling Newsbin although I've updated versions several times since I first started experiencing this problem.

I tried downloading the same nzb again just now and the Cache fluctuates between 90/200 - 160/200 etc. but i didn't see it ever show 0/200, once it was done and left the .nb2 files again it was showing Cache 198/200(0)

I also receive a popup critical error from newsbin showing:
[11:38:02] ERROR UnRAR Failed: Cannot open: <edited due to tos>

[11:38:02] ERROR AutoPARPlugin: UnRAR failed: A8643DE0FA47DDB0B57BFF428B205A2F

[11:38:02] ERROR AutoPARPlugin: Autopar Block Counts Indicate good files but, UnRAR FAILED: No UnRAR: <edited due to tos>
Intel i7 920 @ 3.36GHz
12GB DDR3
Win 7 64bit
mathesar
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Sat May 10, 2014 4:01 pm

Send me the NZB and let me try that. I downloaded from Newsbin Internet Search results and it worked fine.

You can send it to dexter at newsbin dot com
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mathesar » Sun May 11, 2014 3:44 am

dexter wrote:Send me the NZB and let me try that. I downloaded from Newsbin Internet Search results and it worked fine.

You can send it to dexter at newsbin dot com

Thanks, Sent it earlier hopefully it went through.
Intel i7 920 @ 3.36GHz
12GB DDR3
Win 7 64bit
mathesar
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun May 11, 2014 9:37 am

Leaving NB2's behind means something is getting in the way of the rename.

The NB2 ONLY exists momentarily during the download.
- Chunks Download, some in RAM and some on disk (or all in RAM)
- When all the chunks download or you "assemble incompletes". The chunks are assembled into an NB2 files.
- Then the NB2 file is renamed to the real file.

In the older versions, an NB2 represented a partial download. It doesn't work the way anymore. Now NB2's are simply placeholders that last a short time during assembly processing.

Are you downloading to an internal hard disk? I can say I get zero NB2 files files left after download. This sounds like security software even though you say you don't run any.

Tell me more about your PC. Are you using virtual machines for example? Or is it a basic install downloading to a local hard disk.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mathesar » Sun May 11, 2014 2:17 pm

Quade wrote:Leaving NB2's behind means something is getting in the way of the rename.

The NB2 ONLY exists momentarily during the download.
- Chunks Download, some in RAM and some on disk (or all in RAM)
- When all the chunks download or you "assemble incompletes". The chunks are assembled into an NB2 files.
- Then the NB2 file is renamed to the real file.

In the older versions, an NB2 represented a partial download. It doesn't work the way anymore. Now NB2's are simply placeholders that last a short time during assembly processing.

Are you downloading to an internal hard disk? I can say I get zero NB2 files files left after download. This sounds like security software even though you say you don't run any.

Tell me more about your PC. Are you using virtual machines for example? Or is it a basic install downloading to a local hard disk.

Newsbin download directory is on a separate drive altogether from the OS and its an Internal SATA drive, no security software, standard Win 7 64 install with latest updates & drivers, no virtual machines unless Bluestacks counts as one(it's an Android emulator I use) The same NZB's Newsbin gives me trouble with work fine in another client I've been trying lately and it's downloading to the same drive & directory so I'm a bit confused too.

I try to keep my system free of unneeded software (bloat), The only icons in my system tray are an "Intel Rapid Storage" icon which came with the motherboard I'm using (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.6), d3doverrider which is for specific game tweaks, Bluestacks, Dropbox and Virtual CloneDrive.

Majority of the time Newsbin doesn't leave .nb2 files and works correctly but when it does leave them that particular nzb simply wont assemble no matter how many times I retry it (unless I load it into the other newsgroup client).

Do you think doing a complete uninstall of Newsbin and reinstall might help? I've always updated new versions over existing versions without uninstalling first.

Thanks.
Intel i7 920 @ 3.36GHz
12GB DDR3
Win 7 64bit
mathesar
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Sun May 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Your symptoms point to something interfering with the .nb2 process. I tried your NZB and it worked perfectly for me. I'd look for something that might be conflicting. I doubt a re-install would impact this.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mathesar » Sun May 11, 2014 3:27 pm

So far today I've tried unloading bluestacks from memory (there's a command that stops all services & memory processes related to bluestacks) Ran scans in both Super AntiSpyware & Malwarebytes but they only came up with tracking cookies, I also went through Newsbin options and clicked Default Settings on each page.

I don't want to keep bugging you guys so if you have any other suggestions thats great but otherwise I'll try to figure something out over the next few days and report back if I find out what the issue was.

Thanks.
Intel i7 920 @ 3.36GHz
12GB DDR3
Win 7 64bit
mathesar
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun May 11, 2014 3:50 pm

The same NZB's Newsbin gives me trouble with work fine in another client I've been trying lately and it's downloading to the same drive & directory so I'm a bit confused too.

There are dozens of ways to download. They might simply not rename files after download. The NB2's land which means the problem isn't writing the files but, renaming them to their final filename. How about trying some downloads to the primary hard disk and see if the symptoms change.

I'm considering doing away with the NB2 since the need to rename is now the exception these days.

You could try using "Procmon" then set a filter to just watch Newsbin and then see what happens on disk when a file download completes.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mathesar » Sun May 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Quade wrote:
The same NZB's Newsbin gives me trouble with work fine in another client I've been trying lately and it's downloading to the same drive & directory so I'm a bit confused too.

There are dozens of ways to download. They might simply not rename files after download. The NB2's land which means the problem isn't writing the files but, renaming them to their final filename. How about trying some downloads to the primary hard disk and see if the symptoms change.

That was it! Changing download directory to primary drive fixed the issue, any ideas why it's having trouble saving to the other drive? My primary drive doesn't have a whole lot of room for downloads but at least we're getting somewhere.

Edit: I ran chkdsk without errors and hd tune health report doesn't show any warnings.

Intel i7 920 @ 3.36GHz
12GB DDR3
Win 7 64bit
mathesar
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby mathesar » Sun May 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Well looks like the issue is resolved although a bit of a mystery, I made a new download directory on the 1.5TB drive and now its working fine. Not sure what went wrong with the original download location on the drive but this works for me, Thanks again.
Intel i7 920 @ 3.36GHz
12GB DDR3
Win 7 64bit
mathesar
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun May 11, 2014 7:21 pm

What format is the 1.5 TB drive? Newsbin works best on NTFS. FAT32 has some limitations. I think (it's been a couple years) there are limits on how many files you can have in a folder. If that's the issue here. It would explain why a new download folder works.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mathesar » Sun May 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Quade wrote:What format is the 1.5 TB drive? Newsbin works best on NTFS. FAT32 has some limitations. I think (it's been a couple years) there are limits on how many files you can have in a folder. If that's the issue here. It would explain why a new download folder works.

It is NTSF but I had been using the same download folder for several years and even copied it over from an old drive to the current 1.5TB, maybe that was a bad idea, the folder creation date shows Jan 26 2008.
Intel i7 920 @ 3.36GHz
12GB DDR3
Win 7 64bit
mathesar
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun May 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Haha wow. I wonder if moving all the existing files into new folder would have solved it too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby MichaelW_ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 am

I have had this occur a few times as well. The really weird thing is they are ALWAYS found in the last 25% of the filenames by creation time on my drive. Nothing wrong with the system otherwise, it is an 512GB SSD (NTFS, Win7, 32GB RAM) with no problems which is dedicated only to newsbin. Not running out of caches, tried it with and without Avast activated. The issue has persisted across multiple betas as well.
MichaelW_
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/10/09

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:20 am

Left over NB2's are always a rename problem. By the time they're NB2's that means Newsbin has assembled the file completely. Once thing I have seen is that the repair kicks in and is prevents the rename because the repair code has already locked the actual filename while repairing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support