Cant save configuration - make sure it's not read only

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Cant save configuration - make sure it's not read only

Postby Spangles » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:51 pm

I just installed newsbin on a new win8 pc and once installed I get this message when I go to add in server details. I've tried manually saving configuration and it seems to let me save over it no problem. When it attempts to save itself though I get this error. Any ideas. I'm new to win8 so maybe something newbie is messing me up.
Spangles
n00b
n00b

Re: Cant save configuration - make sure it's not read only

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Win8 should be the same as Win7.

Did you install it as a regular user?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Spangles » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:25 pm

My last os was XP so I don't know the deal with win7. Win 8 came preinstalled and I appear to be a user with admin privilege as default.
Spangles
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Are you trying to use you old configuration file? Normally the old configuration file location and data folder is incorrect on Win7/Win8. Microsoft moved it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Spangles » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Not trying to take anything from previous install. This was a fresh install to win8. I first tried installing to my ssd and thought the ssd might be the issue. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled on my hd but still got same issue.
Spangles
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Security software? We're getting into the "I have no idea" territory. It should just work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Spangles » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Got it working eventually. Just had to manually set the permission on the exe. I hadn't done that as I didn't think it would need it. After that it worked but prompted UAC everytime. I switched off UAC completely and it's going fine now.
Spangles
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:43 pm

As long as you're happy, fine, but what you're describing is an incorrect setup with your permissions. Disabling UAC leaves you much more susceptible to virus attacks. But, it's your computer.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby bradslinux » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:11 am

Setting the UAC to off is not the correct way to fix this, as somebody already stated, it can create a security vulnerability in your system.
This is purely a permissions/ownership issue that can be duplicated by moving the default directorie(s) to a location that Newsbin doesn't have permission to access. (among other reasons).
The easy fix is to "Take Ownership" of the Newsbin data directory. (not the program directory). This is safe because Newsbin by default has permission to run under your user account already, we just have to extend it's permission to its own directory which for whatever reason has become broken.
To "Take Ownership" there are several methods. I suggest you read up on this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 53659.aspx

There is also a way to add "Take Ownership" to the Windows desktop context menu with some registry changes. You can find that yourself if you are interested.
Hope this helps. I have run into this problem with Newsbin in the past, and it just happened again on my media/download server.

brdslnx
bradslinux
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/12/09

Return to V6 Technical Support