Trying to optimize cache and chunks

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Trying to optimize cache and chunks

Postby mjpierce » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 am

On posts with many missing articles I often get my cache going to "0/300" which of course stops all downloading until it can recover.
On a recent download, which turned out to be too broken to be repaired, I gave up on the download removing it from the list. I then went to the
chunks directory and found about 32,000 chunks totaling around 12GB waiting to be assembled (or orphaned and just left laying around). My "Max Retries" = 1. I have only two servers. I understand that there is a delay before Newsbin does the retries and this can affect the assembly of incompletes. No question here other than general suggestions. It seemed extreme so I thought I'd report it.

My real questions are...
Exactly how big, and what is a cache unit. Some posts have there part sizes around 500MB. What setting would I need to keep it in memory until complete? If Newsbin has to write out parts of the file due to memory constraints does it make chunks until the file is complete then write the final file?
If I start downloading a file then move another ahead of it in the download list does it release the cache units from the previous file to work on the new one? My observation says "no" but I don't know for sure.
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/06

Re: Trying to optimize cache and chunks

Postby mjpierce » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:00 am

Sorry, forgot version. 6.51 build 3159 (latest I think).
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/06

Re: Trying to optimize cache and chunks

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:47 am

Cache blocks represent one post of a file. They're downloaded into memory and if there's enough cache blocks, partial downloads never hit disk (the chunks folder remains unused).

When you have a bunch of incomplete files, Newsbin will shuffle older blocks out of memory to make room for new data. That's what ends up in the chunks folder. As you found with your badly incomplete set, you can end up with most of the files sitting in the chunks folder.

There's not really much to optimize though. If the number of chunks in the cache is greater than the number of chunks of the files you download, then in normal circumstances, the chunks folder shouldn't be used. Incomplete files mess up the logic but, then end up getting shuffled into disk anyway. There's actually a hidden feature. If you open "help/about" you can force the cache to flush to disk.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support