duplicate entries in groups

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

duplicate entries in groups

Postby beany » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:24 pm

Not sure why but I have some (alot) duplicate entries in some groups. Many but not all of the duplicates are previously downloaded articles. ie if displaying in alphabetical order many entries are green white green white etc. What would have caused this and how can I remove the duplicates?

Additionally once a file has been marked as downloaded how can I reset it back to idle/new so that I can download it again with the same download type?

thanks
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: duplicate entries in groups

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:04 pm

I've seen some stuff like that and in the case I saw, the subject was the same but, the poster was different. If the poster is different, that's enough for Newsbin to consider it to be unique.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby beany » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:37 am

They appear to be exactly the same and with all the same message ids as shown in properties. I would say that 70% of some groups are like this.
I've also noticed that some groups stick on update even when no new articles are there 0/0. I have had to delete them manually from the queue a few times- not sure if this is related.

I've taken a couple of the groups so far, deleted then and reloaded all posts and this has solved it for those groups (up to now).

Should I just continue to delete the others the same way or is there another way to resolve it without the need to reload - there are another 6 or so groups affected from what I can see.
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:20 pm

- How many servers are you downloading headers from and what are they?

- If you reload the group without doing another header download, are they still dupped?

- This isn't search is it?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby beany » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:16 pm

I use supernews as primary with astraweb and newsdemon as backup. However as I understand it the headers would all come from supernews normally.
Yes its the same if reloaded.
I see the dupes in the display tab of the selected group and also in the table of the bundled groups.

you mention multiple servers - could this be a problem? When testing my previous issues with NB stopping on some articles I did rotate the primary servers. It is possible that header downloads could have occurred during these periods when a different primary server was being used.
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:37 pm

I use supernews as primary with astraweb and newsdemon as backup. However as I understand it the headers would all come from supernews normally.

This is only true of you actually clicked "No Header Download" in the server options for the 2 backup servers. Otherwise headers download from them.

If you haven't how about disabling header downloads from AW and Newsdemon and then see what happens going forward? I use Giga and Astra (which essentially the same as Super and Astra) and don't get dups so, I wonder if Newsdemon does something to the header data so it looks different.

I think if you ONLY download headers from Astraweb, you'll find they download significantly faster than Supernews.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby marko46 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:02 am

Duplicatefiledeleter is very useful software for sorted our massive documents and make it sufficient for further use. Each one can get rid easily from duplicating data or files and make one file valid. We get this software easily without any coast from any trail. It is very easy to use and have simple features. A wide range of peoples join this software and enjoyed its lots of benefits.
marko46
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support