6.50 Not unraring to $(NZBPATH)

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.50 Not unraring to $(NZBPATH)

Postby Luggworm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:30 am

I have set my options to as follows

Main Download Folder = C:\Users\Roy\Downloads\Newsbin Downloads\
Download folder for NZB downloads = D:\Newsbin\$(NZBPATH)\$(NZBFILE)\ (yes it's ticked)
And UnRar folder = C:\Users\Home\Downloads\Newsbin Downloads\$(NZBPATH)\$(NZBFILE)\ (yes it's ticked)
and a watch folder set to = C:\Users\Home\Downloads\Watch Folders\NZBs\SB\

If a NZB file appears in C:\Users\Home\Downloads\Watch Folders\NZBs\SB\ the download work fine and drop into D:\Newsbin\SB\a.nzb.filename\

however it unrars to C:\Users\Home\Downloads\Newsbin Downloads\a.nzb.filename\ missing the SB sub-dir. Is this by design, an error or user mis-op?

Thanks.
Luggworm
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/27/09

Re: 6.50 Not unraring to $(NZBPATH)

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 am

With the watch folder set to:
C:\Users\Home\Downloads\Watch Folders\NZBs\SB\

And the UnRAR path set to:
C:\Users\Home\Downloads\Newsbin Downloads\$(NZBPATH)\$(NZBFILE)\

I'd expect the files to unrar to:
C:\Users\Home\Downloads\Newsbin Downloads\SB\<nzb filename>\

I'll have to try it here and see what I see. Are you overriding any of the paths in the watch options at all or are you only using the main download paths?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Luggworm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Quade wrote:
I'll have to try it here and see what I see. Are you overriding any of the paths in the watch options at all or are you only using the main download paths?

Just checked and the Watch Folder Options C:\Users\Home\Downloads\Watch Folders\NZBs\SB\ has overrides for the default directories, but the download path is set to D:\Newsbin\SB\$(NZBFILE)\ and the UnRar folder is set to C:\Users\Home\Downloads\Newsbin Downloads\SB\$(NZBFILE)\ which I'd expect to achieve what I want.

I'll try turning off the overides in the watch options and see if that makes a difference.

Update: With the Watch Folder Options deselected it still shows the same behaviour - it UnRars to the Main download folder not the sub directory.
Luggworm
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm just trying to figure out what to set to test this. Knowing specifically where the paths are set will help me with trouble-shooting.

You know, there's no requirement to have a deep path. My download folder is "X:\Download\". I hate having to browse to my home folder to get to my files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Luggworm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Quade wrote:I'm just trying to figure out what to set to test this. Knowing specifically where the paths are set will help me with trouble-shooting.

You know, there's no requirement to have a deep path. My download folder is "X:\Download\". I hate having to browse to my home folder to get to my files.

I have a Win7 Library "Downloads" so in explorer my download directory is only 2 clicks down even though it looks like a deep path. The problem I have is that Sickbeard and Couchpotato post processing are interfering with each other so I want Newsbin to download into different paths depending on whether Sickbeard or Couchpotato have pulled the NZB down. What I'll do is reset my paths to be shallow so that it is easier to see what is going on and post back.
Luggworm
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:04 pm

What I'll do is reset my paths to be shallow so that it is easier to see what is going on and post back.

I'm not suggesting you do this. I was just expressing a personal opinion. Your folders should work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Luggworm » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:05 pm

OK, weird times. I reset all the directories to short paths just for the hell of it and it started working as expected! I've now reset the all the options back to what they were before and it's still working. Think I'll put it down to something on my machine, but I'll carry on trying to break it and report it back if I can re-produce it.
Luggworm
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:29 pm

One of the benefits of short paths is that there is a 250ish character total limit on filename + path length. If you then have folders inside the rar and longish filenames, you might run into the limit. What Newsbin does is actually strip the path down if it needs to in order for the filenames to work. I wonder if something like that is happening here.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby orygun » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:13 pm

My download path is E:\DOWN\$(SUBJECT)\ so when a subject is 143 characters, then it unrars into a subdirectory of that, with the same subject name (ending up attempting a path+name of over 400 characters), it fails to complete. NB looks at though it takes a shot at truncating the final filename (at the beginning).

Under Edit Path, it lists $(SUBJECT), it says "a cleaned up copy of the subject." I was thinking perhaps it stripped off superfluous data to keep it short?

This only happens a few times a week, but I have changed to a simpler DL path for now.
orygun
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/04/04

Return to V6 Technical Support