Not sue why this is happening (2 NZBs for same file)

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Not sue why this is happening (2 NZBs for same file)

Postby CoolStream » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:54 pm

As a test, I opened two NZBs for the same file (1 NZB from a report by Jack and another from a report made by Jill for the same file Humpty.Dumpty.1080p.mkv). The reports say the file is 8GB and both include RARs and PARs. If I check the PARs, Quickpar shows that the file is indeed 8GB, however in NB6.50RC4, it looks as if I have successfully downloaded 8/16GB and there is nothing more to download.

I would have expected NB to have seen that the 'second' 8GB points to duplicates whilst in reality no attempts to download them appears to be happening. I have left NB running for over an hours and there is no change in progress.

In reality, the download is complete and can be successfully extracted, even though NB thinks differently. I have never done a test like this before although I have successfully used an NZB for pars and another for RARs. Has anyone ever tried a similar test and had similar results? Have I found a bug?
CoolStream
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: Not sue why this is happening (2 NZBs for same file)

Postby CoolStream » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:20 pm

UPDATE:
On opening the downloaded rars, I have discovered that they contain the MKV inside a PASSWORDED RAR inside a set of RARs.

Effectively, this amounts to 8GB inside 8GB inside 8GB. Therefore I wouldn't expect NB to be able to detect this regardless of whether I provided the password or not.

NB There is no nfo providing the password, so I'm classing this one as a waste of time :cry:
CoolStream
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Effectively, this amounts to 8GB inside 8GB inside 8GB. Therefore I wouldn't expect NB to be able to detect this regardless of whether I provided the password or not.

I'm aware of this new spam style and will probably do something about it. Someone on IRC suggested I white list the contents of the first layer of RARS so, if it passes the password check but doesn't contain white listed file extensions, treat it as spam.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby CoolStream » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, Quade. I'm sure you'll already have examples of such posts but will provide more info (NZB name, poster etc) if you want to test future versions against it.
CoolStream
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Sure. PM me the subject and group and I'll test with yours.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support