Problems with one of my newsgroups

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problems with one of my newsgroups

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:44 am

I seem to be having a problem with one of my subscribed newsgroups

I clicked on the newsgroup name and the blue bar on the bottom went to the end and
the screen changed but no headers were displayed. I waited a few minutes and still nothing
came up for that NG. Btw this ng is one that has over a million headers.
I chose show headers and still nothing. So I deleted stored post and I was going to start all
over again with this group.

I then started the downloading of all the files associated with that newsgroup. It got up to about
920K files then crashed. I waited a few minutes then restarted NBPro and tried another NG.
It loads that group like normal but as soon as I load the errant NG it restarts D/L headers and
crashes.

I suspect the DB file associated with this NG is corrupt. Should I just delete the DB file associated
with this newsgroup, delete the NG from the Groups List and Go back to the Add groups and added it back to the groups list?

TIa
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Problems with one of my newsgroups

Postby Quade » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 am

PM me the group name and I'll check it out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:27 am

Quade:

Thanks for looking at the group but I would really like a solution to my problem.

I can only get that newsgroup to work in X-news and that program is slower than molasses.

While I was waiting for a solution I went and tried something on my own but it didn't work

Step 1. I went to the Spool_V6 directory in the NB folder and deleted the problem newsgroup.
Step 2. I went into the group list area and deleted the newsgroup from the groups area.
Step 3. I re-added the N.G. from the server and begin to reload the headers.

I noticed from the server add list that it has close to 6.8 million headers but I don't know how much
compression NB is doing to get to a final total.

While waiting for headers to reload I minimized the NB program and waited for about 15 minutes. When i maxiumized the NB program the whole screen was black and the program had quit responding. So I went back to
the primary NB program fie on my main drive and it showed the same storage.db3 and storagedata.db3 file size as
it was before I deleted it. How can this be if I was redownloading headers?

I think NB is confused and I know that I am confused as well :?

EC
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby eclapwannabe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:44 am

Well it seems to be working now.

The blue Status line went very fast and then slowed down to a crawl. It then changed screens and loaded all the headers. I guess my solution worked.

Or maybe it decided to work despite my inept attempts to make it work :?
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:08 am

Yeah. I'm still looking. It's a pretty normal group. The traffic isn't that high. I had a hang but, I was running it under the debugger so, that impacts it. I've added it to my normal rotation.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support