Downloading from search fails frequently

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Downloading from search fails frequently

Postby Bandor » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Just wondered if anyone else has this issue...

I am on Newshosting and have been for a long time. It has always worked well for me however withing the past 6 months or so I have been having an issue...

When I use the search tab on NewsBin and find the files I want, I double-click to download and it adds to the queue, however the downloads are very frequently broken.

Looking at the logs, I see a 430 error of no such article and the server is eu.news.astraweb.com. Why would the search be pulling articles from Astraweb when I am on Newshosting. Sorry if this is a dumb question as I don't fully understand usenet and where the parts reside.

Is this a Search issue, Newsbin issue, or a Newsserver Issue?

Bandor
Bandor
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/13/03

Re: Downloading from search fails frequently

Postby itimpi » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Bandor wrote:Looking at the logs, I see a 430 error of no such article and the server is eu.news.astraweb.com. Why would the search be pulling articles from Astraweb when I am on Newshosting. Sorry if this is a dumb question as I don't fully understand usenet and where the parts reside.

Is this a Search issue, Newsbin issue, or a Newsserver Issue?

I think you are probably misreading the log. What you are probably seeing is astraweb as part of the msgid field as that is where the item in question was originally uploaded, so it is not really specifying the server that Newsbin is using. It is not at all unusual for the upload server name to be part of the msgid field as part of the algorithm they use to guarantee that msgid's are unique on the whole of usenet. The 430 error is telling you that the item is not actually available on your news server, and this is from newshosting. This could simply be that for some reason newshosting does not have the file (yet), or that it has been removed as a result of a DCMA takedown notice being issued.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Re: Downloading from search fails frequently

Postby Bandor » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:19 pm

That makes sense... Just wanted to be sure I am not having an indexing issue or something wrong with Newshosting...

Bandor
Bandor
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/13/03

Return to V6 Technical Support