Tabbing might crash newsbin (through 6.50RC2)

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Tabbing might crash newsbin (through 6.50RC2)

Postby saintsinner » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Small bug report (that apparently I've forgotten to make in the 6.4+ versions) if you're a keyboard person, in the search window if you hit tab to switch from search term to group selection and then click with the mouse anywhere aside from the search term newsbin stops responding in windows 7.

If anyone would like to test (as it could be my machine I suppose?) it's quite simple: open newsbin RC2, using the mouse click on the search tab to go into the search window, then (still using the mouse) click next to the magnifying glass, hit tab say, 6 times, then (mouse) click below where the search results would display and even if you've just launched newsbin (or just rebooted and then launched newsbin) you'll likely discover newsbin has gone unresponsive, is not using a lot of memory (<50megs) but is utilizing the cpu (on my older Q8200 it bounced between 18 and 25% for the 5 minutes I was willing to let it hang.)

Curious to see if you guys can duplicate it or not...

Cheers.
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Re: Tabbing might crash newsbin (through 6.50RC2)

Postby Ribble » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Cute. Yes, that gets the fans howling and a Newsbin window whiteout. CPU average 34% Usage, mostly on last core of a quad-core AMD running Win7.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/09

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm aware of it thanks. It happens deep in the bowels of the GUI package I use. I think tossing the current GUI library will be the only way I can fix it. There's a good chance of that happening before too long. The current GUI's gotten a bit long on the tooth.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby saintsinner » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Woot, glad it's not just me. Well, not GLAD per say as it's annoying for you to have to build a new gui, but well, I don't have to spend money on a new computer yet :) (now a new hard drive....)

Thanks for the quick tests guys!
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Return to V6 Technical Support