Alternate Data Streams (ADS) - Explorer metadata

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Alternate Data Streams (ADS) - Explorer metadata

Postby x11 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Hello,
in the past I used NB v5.5 on an Windows XP system. As far I remember, the information which ist stored in the descript.ion file was also stored in an Alternate Data Streams (ADS). Files in the explorer could be sorted by that information when the comment coulmn was visible. Unfortunately, I couldn't find out more information about that topic. At the moment I use NB v6.3 on a Vista 64bit system. But I can't find out how to config newsbin v6 on a windows vista so that i can use metadata in the windows explorer to sort my filesets. I think there isn't anymore data in the ADS now, but i hope NB still stores this data anywhere accessible to the explorer. I tested some downloaded files with the "dir /R" command and found only empty streams. I know that there are other explorers that can handle descript.ion like ACDSee and Total Commander, but thats not a solution I'm looking for. Any suggestions how i have to config my system, that i can sort my files with the windows explorer by "clicking" the comment column?

Thank you for reading.
x11
n00b
n00b

Re: Alternate Data Streams (ADS) - Explorer metadata

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:58 pm

I disabled it because it didn't seem to work in Vista and Win7. The code works but, I don't see the data listed in explorer any more. I just re-enabled it and can't find a listing for the data even though the call that applies it seems to work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby driverdude » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 pm

NOT A BUG ANYMORE

6.40b4.1948 works fine and populates The Alternate Data Stream associated with the file in NTFS with MSFTS "SummaryInformation" comment field PID_COMMENTS, also known as "Comments" and puts in the usenet subject in my test today.

Tested and works in Windows 7 via discrete C calls. http://sedna-soft.de/summary-information-stream/

To test, attach the NTFS drive to XP, and do file properties get info and click on the pane that was removed from Vista and "Windows 7"

MSFT wants to DEMOTE reliance on this critical thing. Apple only started using unix file attributes in 10.4.11, and thoth usenet reader uses them similar to newsbin and this alternate stream.

both mac and windows lose this info is files moved to usb sticks or cds

for stickier associations mac programmers use RSRC file forks, they get written to usb sticks and cds, some usenet readers on mac use those.

Or in Windows 7 use one of many 3rd party tools to display it.

BE HAPPY: Instead of using a private ADS, newsbin uses an EXISTING ADS stream, resulting in less disk side effects, and results in appending a few bytes to the end of a SummaryInformation element (there is a 'control 5' character in from to the string SummaryInformation in programming practice).

"descript.ion" log file in Windows 7 WILL show similar info with a 3rd party file browser tool, and newsbin ALSO cleverly emits those via a checkbox feature.

NOT A BUG
driverdude
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/29/12

Postby driverdude » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:03 am

IS BUG AGAIN (in beta version of 6.50b18)
driverdude
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/29/12

Return to V6 Technical Support