Newsbin Not Connecting to Internet?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin Not Connecting to Internet?

Postby reaper200 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi. I'm having a problem with newsbin. It does not seem to be connecting to the internet at all. It had been working fine for several months. Now if I try to download something I get the error:

ERROR - Error: Unable to Convert Server Name to Internet Address: 11001 No such host is known.

From what I've read this means my news server details are wrong but I am pretty sure they are correct and the server in question (news.newshosting.com) seems to be up as well as my subscription being active. Something else that might be of note is that when I start it even the 'Newsbin Message of the Day' is blank with it stating 'This program cannot display the webpage' which is what has led me to think that its not connecting to the net. My internet is working fine otherwise. I tried reinstalling newsbin completely, uninstalling my antivirus and firewall etc. No luck.

One thing that is new is that I have been using wireless on my laptop for the past few weeks and this is the first time I've tried to use newsbin on it. I can't wire it up and see if that's whats causing the problem but the connection is steady and I do not lose connection etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
reaper200
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/28/08

Re: Newsbin Not Connecting to Internet?

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Typically this means your firewall or virus scanner is blocking Newsbin off the internet. The fact both the server connections, DNS and the motd don't work really points in this direction.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby reaper200 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 am

Yep. Furthermore I just tried reinstalling newsbin to see if there was a problem with the installation and when it came to activating it (by entering my key) it wouldn't let me stating that I wasn't connected to the internet. I completely uninstalled avast (it was the free edition) and switched off windows firewall/defender but it made no difference. I don't have any other antivirus/firewalls. Any suggestions?
reaper200
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/28/08

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:22 am

Did you reboot? I'd have left the windows firewall alone. It's pretty good, uninstalled Avast and rebooted. Then tried again. The reboot is pretty much required to finish an uninstall.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Moondawgie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Are you by any chance using the IPVanish VPN service? If so, you should check the DNS server settings currently being utilized by your computer.

See this message thread in the IPVanish Support forum (No account required to view/read) for relevant information.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Return to V6 Technical Support