Question about Local vs Internet search

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Question about Local vs Internet search

Postby jazzman4x » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Forgive me, I don't quite know how the search service works; if you are able to maintain your own DB of all the headers, or if there is some sort of standard search service that all the USENET servers have now. If I'm using Giganews, am I searching Giganews servers, or some other DB?

The reason I ask is I seem to get cases where an Internet search will return a rar part of a download that never seemed to make it into my local headers. For example I have a 60-part rar/par set now that is missing part 4 in the local headers but it is available via an internet search. I can grab it from the internet search results and complete the full download just fine. All parts have exactly the same timestamp.

Is this a timing issue? Does "Download Latest" sometimes not pick up exactly where it left off and there is a gap?
jazzman4x
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/04/09

Re: Question about Local vs Internet search

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:49 pm

There are basically 3 ways to download.

1 - Headers - the old reliable way

2 - Our search

4 - NZB Files from some other source.

Every news server maintains a record of what it has. That's basically what headers are. Not all servers have 100% of the headers listed. Search is fed from two different servers so, it's not unusual for it to have something your local server doesn't have. All servers have essentially the same content so, headers from one (or search) will work on any news server.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support