Not a problem but an observation

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Not a problem but an observation

Postby eclapwannabe » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Observation:

When I let Newsbin Pro stay as an active program for a while several things happen. If I try to download
something newsbin pro has a hissy fit and will stop working. I have to shut the program down and then restart
the program. When I restart the program Newsbin Pro wants to reload all the previous files that have all ready been downloaded. I have tried several times to get it to pause download but to no avail. So I highlight
everything that it is trying to re-download and click the remove from download list and wait for about a minute
before it finishes the transaction. I then know to go into the data fields and delete the download.db3 file.

Anytime the newsbin pro acts up and has to be closed down without going through the normal shutdown procedures it screws up the download list and the download.db3 file.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Not a problem but an observation

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Sounds like it's being killed and not closed. Killing it prevents normal exit processing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 am

It is being killed because windows throws up the little alert saying that newsbin pro has stopped working
and it is closing down. I do not have much of a choice at that point. If I have control over the program
I will shut it down and go through the proper exit procedures. Is there a time limit on newsbin pro being
active?
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:21 am

Nope - something is causing it to crash. You might try a re-install first if you haven't already, the other thing is to completely disable any anti virus and see if it stops. Many of those tend to interfere with newsbin if you don't go out of your way to configure it. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and behaves quite well.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby eclapwannabe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 pm

I am trying to think outside of the box here. If the Anti-Virus Program was an issue would it not prevent
me from launching the program in the first place? I will kept NB running for say 2 days or sometimes 4 days.
What usually causes it to crash if I have a bunch of winrar archives to process. Then it has it's little hissy fit
and stops working/Crash. I suspect I may need a clean install of Win 7 and I really do not look forward to doing that. I have so many programs that I use from the internet that help me with Usenet that it takes hours to get everything shipshape I do have norton's 360 program that works well that I am paying e-link on a monthly basis. It has saved my butt a few times. I monitor about 25-30 groups. But what I have been doing is disabling
a group if I am not downloading any files during a session.

Well anyway thanks for the input. Cheers

EC
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:54 am

I'm suggesting you completely disable it and see if the problem goes away, purely as a diagnostic rather than a thought experiment. Newsbin isn't really a deep-rooted application that talks to obscure levels of the OS - it pretty much does standard disk and networking commands - so while it's possible an OS reinstall might fix it, it wouldn't be my first guess. The whole point behind AV programs is to get between the OS and an application, what could well be happening is Norton is interfering with Newsbin shutting down properly, it could be interpreting the last stage of saving the config files as an attack, it stops it to look at it, Newsbin goes wtf and tits-up. There's all sorts of possibilities, that's why I'd suggest the diagnostic approach.

Norton is a horror, plenty of people have had issues with it and Newsbin. It might be possible to configure it to leave Newsbin alone, might not. I don't know what you mean by elink. MSE is free, and does a decent job, as I mentioned.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby haileris » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm getting the same experience. I get crashes about once every 4 days or so. I don't have an AV on the box so it can't be that. The real PITA is that I had a 60k item queue - got down to about 15k, crashes, backup to 60k again. Sometimes it seems the signature isn't updated either so I end up downloading a bunch of dupes.

With that kind of load the process can get pretty big in memory - I wonder if that is the issue. The box has 8GB RAM and I only normally see the newsbin process with up to 4GB. Just had a look now and its up to 5GB. The build is new; about a month old.
haileris
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/06/15

Return to V6 Technical Support