Still having problems with RAR/Unrar

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Still having problems with RAR/Unrar

Postby eclapwannabe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 am

Up till a few minutes ago I was having this problem

1. I would click on the mult-part message header. Newsbin would start processing the rar file. But it seems like it is not retrieving all the par2 files. I think that there used to be an option to allow all the par2 files to be retrieved or processed. What it is doing is pausing the other par2 files. It maybe a quirk of the poster that requires all the par files to be d/L before being processed. So I manually click on all the other par2 files and Newsbin does it's magic. I can do it manually because that is the way it use to be but just a time waster.

2. I just processed about 5 more multi-part messages and no problem it rar/unrar the files perfectly. I guess
it is just a quirk in the way the poster handles his rar files.

3. I am not complaining but I try to understand processes not just do them.

4. I thought I would circumvent the issue by manually expanding the multi-part message and retrieving
all the associated files with it. That did not work. It doubled up on some Winrar files and failed to proceess others. All these files in this newsgroup I am working with are Video Files not Jpegs. Could that be the problem?

TIA for any help in this matter.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Still having problems with RAR/Unrar

Postby DThor » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:28 am

There's nothing a poster can do to specifically request waiting or not for par downloads - newsbin just tries to make sense of it, which it typically does for the vast majority of posts. Part of the smarts is saving you having to download more pars than you need. By default newsbin just snags the first small par and pauses the rest, and grabs the main post. If it stalls in the download queue, this is by design - newsbin is telling you it's unsure there will be enough pars to repair a bad post, or it's simply waiting to see if more chunks are forthcoming from the server. Much of the time you can just ignore it and eventually it will download, other times, not. The status column gives you information on the number of chunks needed, downloaded and pars. You can rush things along by right clicking and 'assemble incompletes' - this tells newsbin to stop waiting and just assemble what it has and download(unpause) any needed pars to repair and extract the file. You don't really need to micro manage par by par. If you do, something's up with the post, or newsbin. Being able to parse every post in the wild west of usenet is always a moving target.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support