Several Concerns and Will try to be brief

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Several Concerns and Will try to be brief

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Using NB Pro ver6.50811 Build 2854.

2 Concerns

1. 2 chunks was read as Failed Files. However my backup program X-News read them just fine. Also
2 other chunks where just missing as per X-news. Do I need to do a Purge Storage for that Newsgroup?

2. I think when I started to Delete Posters it changed the Status Column to Subject Reject. How can I get
the Status Column to go back to the original format? If my memory serves me correctly that the
Status Column is the only place that shows me if the file/chunk is missing parts. I would prefer to skip
that file instead of finding out through the Downloading Files tab that parts are missing.

Almost getting use to this program but alas a new problem creeps up from time to time.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Several Concerns and Will try to be brief

Postby DThor » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 pm

1. Biggest problem in these scenarios is comparing apples to apples. Newsbin is pretty transparent about getting a post - you'll get the message that comes right back from the server if it's missing. There's all sorts of variables - some posts are in the process of uploading, some are cross-posted and you're checking different groups - one is complete, the other isn't, the reason for failure might be a sig match, which only has relevance on newsbin not xnews(you can override it anyway), I assume you're using the same server - it's really next to impossible to say or do much to the comment with so little information. About all you can do is troubleshoot it. It's certainly possible there's a 'badly posted' file which xnews can parse and newsbin can't - and that's the sort of information Quade would really want to know so he can address it. If you can narrow it down and pass it on to him via a PM, he'd appreciate it I'm sure.

2. Just a guess but I suspect the status column just got squished to nothing. Try selecting and dragging the divider - you can also drag and drop the columns so you might have moved it to an odd place and crushed it. Should still be able to hunt it down, though. I've never seen it literally be replaced by reject though. Are you talking about the download queue? Status in the download does contain the information you mentioned, yeah.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Re : 1 The message/header/body was from march of 2013. It was not a new message. So I guess my suggestion to purge storage and restart the group messages is what I will do.

2. When I started out with my Virgin Copy of Newsbin Pro the Status Column showed a coloring scheme;
sort of a mini bar graph. Now only thing it does is show text etc. File Failure, Subject Reject. What I would
like to do is for it to return to the color bar graph information. Text is okay colors are better.

I tried to PM Quade but I could not get it to accept his name.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby itimpi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:25 am

eclapwannabe wrote:2. When I started out with my Virgin Copy of Newsbin Pro the Status Column showed a coloring scheme;
sort of a mini bar graph. Now only thing it does is show text etc. File Failure, Subject Reject. What I would
like to do is for it to return to

The bar graph is NOT the Status column. In the default layout it is the column after the Status column. As was mentioned earlier the chances are that you have shrunk its width to zero. Try grabbing the dividers in the column header to see if you can 'unshrink' it.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby DThor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:31 am

For the record, purging the spools and replacing them is unlikely to address any perceived difference in snagging posts between newsbin and another package. It's more about specifics. There's nothing saying you have to do anything, anyway, since you already have the post. Really, the odds are against there being a mysterious post not downloading that doesn't have a simple answer (like the default spam settings in newsbin which won't download a raft of posts unless you disable that).

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 am

2. When I started out with my Virgin Copy of Newsbin Pro the Status Column showed a coloring scheme;
like to do is for it to return to the color bar graph information. Text is okay colors are better.

Sounds like you're looking at the failed or wish lists instead of the download list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks for all your replies .
My working copy of newsbin must be in a train wreck.

When I look at my main screen I see 6 screen headers or fields
Subject
Status
Size
Date
From
Group

I have adjusted the screen and adjusted the column headings but I do not find what you are describing.
My real concern is not the graphic display just some indication (color or icon) that parts are missing from
a file before attempting to d/L. When a part(chunk) is missing from a message header it slows down
the rest of the other files in other newsgroups that I am attempting to d/l. So can I attach the download files tab back on the main screen? I know you don't like for me to describe my old program but in the first
column (icon) it would indicate missing parts. So if it is a multi-part file with pars my chances of getting the completed message are good. I just don't like to waste my time.
I see no resolution to my second question so I will just play with the program.
Thanks for trying to understand I just am not a veteran enough to get a commanding handle on this program.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 pm

In the options menu, select "Reset display layout on restart" then restart Newsbin.

What you're describing is a post list, not the download list. Posts that aren't complete show an I in the icon. The problem is you don't know if the server can really deliver the files until you try downloading them. So, they might look complete in Newsbin but, they're not complete on your news server

You might want to try 6.50B12 (if you're not) I believe the slowdown on 430 error is resolved in 6.50B12
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support