Groups with downloaded headers not displaying any

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Groups with downloaded headers not displaying any

Postby jazzman4x » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:58 pm

I am having a strange issue that I probably can't describe well enough but maybe you can help me with what information I can provide that would help. I was working with headers yesterday filtering and stuff and at one point I did something like right-click a folder and ask it to show me some or all of the posts across the folder. So the list of all the headers comes up and it starts scrolling through all the newsgroups and the count of headers in parentheses in the tab keeps going up as each group is processed. And then the list of headers clears and the count in the tab goes to zero. Also on the Groups tab the new files count for all the groups goes to 0 (maybe that is expected). So I close the Headers tab and either try to reopen it showing posts for the folder, or clicking an individual newsgroup to see the headers in that newsgroup, but nothing I could do would show me any headers. Having filters set at the top of the window, or not, seemed to make no difference. I don't have Auto-mark old set, and I have the Show and Display ages set to large values. My config in Options is nothing special and had always worked. There were plenty of files in the Spool_V6 directory.

So I figured something was corrupted. I kept the *.nbi for the folder and the signature.db3 file and trashed the whole Data Folder and proceeded to re-download all (or partial) headers. I started working around again, and although I am not sure exactly what I am doing to cause this to happen, it happened again. The size of the newsgroup doesn't seem to matter. (Maybe if I can reproduce this on a small newsgroup I can send the files for that group and you can try to see why they are not displaying in the headers list?) I'm at a bit of a loss since I started clean and still got the same problem. Has anyone else seen a problem like this?

I was running 6.5B11. Although downgrading to 6.42 seemed to make no difference. I am on Giganews.
jazzman4x
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/04/09

Re: Groups with downloaded headers not displaying any

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 pm

I'd run B12. It has changes to always import headers for the currently visible set of group tabs.

You have too much going on a once for me to follow.

1 - Pick a group

2 - Right click "Show all Posts"

3 - Set the display so, "Hide Old" isn't shown (it's one of the drop boxes) see that happens.

It sounds almost like you wiped the groups.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jazzman4x » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 am

OK, well I went to reproduce this again starting with just the nbi and doing screenshots and was easily able to. But then I realized there is other data cached in the nbi than just the server information and groups list (not an expert), so I decided to start entirely from scratch with no nbi and have NB create your default trains/planes/autos nbi. I was not able to reproduce this with that nbi, but have some questions below on what I was seeing trying to do so (pictures 10 and 13). I guess I'll start all over with my stuff entirely from scratch. Not sure what is going on. At least I know its not the signature file, which I have come to rely on.

There are some screen shots here;
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6kCZhZ7luZ2YUF0eEZDZERPTE0&usp=sharing

Picture0005; NB version 6.50B12
Picture0001; Start NB with no nbi
[Omitted]; Configure my server
Picture0003; Default Options\Setup
Picture0004; Download all Automobiles headers
Picture0006; New files counts after header dl
Picture0007; Show all posts
Picture0008; Count in parens on tab is 171062
Picture0009; Back on the groups tab the New Files counts are now 0. I think this is expected?
Picture00010; Show all posts again for automobiles. Now there is no parens with a count, but all the headers are still there as IdleNew. Why isn't the number there? Also, this is where testing with my nbi fails, but instead with my nbi I get no headers in the list and a (0) in parens.
Picture00011; Show 60 days
Picture00012; We have a count again in parens
Picture00013; Show posts for just one of the groups, not the folder. Why is there no number in parens?

I don't have screenshots for this, but "Download Latest" seems to add posts to the download queue, not just tasks for the headers. Not sure I have time to research that but I think something has changed between v6.42 and 6.5. There may be side effects of some of the optimizations I think you are doing. That is a different issue though.
jazzman4x
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:39 am

You're not making it easy to figure out what you're trying to report.

I think you're saying "Sometimes when I load a group, it doesn't show the counts on the tab".

You could make this REAL simply if you followed my directions.

1 - Install B12

2 - Load your NBI.

3 - Pick a group, a not particularly busy group.

4 - Right click, "download all headers".

5 - Load the group with a right click "Show all Posts"

6 - Wait and watch.

Then report back.

Looking at your pictures I see:

1 - Sometimes you don't get a number on the tab. Seems like a cosmetic problem.

2 - You have a header over lap in the server options so, some of the headers re-download (and turn green). It's pretty apparent in a dead group like this. On an active group you don't typically notice it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jazzman4x » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:48 pm

OK, sorry to bother you.
jazzman4x
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support