queue trouble

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

queue trouble

Postby coyote2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:02 pm

ver. 6.50B12 build2874 (B11 had same issue)

I load multiple NZBs for download. Sometimes the files aren't on my providers (plural) servers. I'm used to Newsbin then going on to the d/l the fileset for the next NZB.

Recently, however, it never gets past the first fileset it can't get.

Even if I pause the ungettable fileset and move it to the bottom of the queue. Though if I then restart Newsbin, the other filesets do d/l.

Manual intervention isn't convenient, please help!
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/19/09

Re: queue trouble

Postby DThor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Yeah, that shouldn't happen. In Options/Setup what are Max Retries set to?

You should be able to see what's going on when it gets stuck - check the logging tab and also the connections to see what hung up where. I wonder if your connection is simply stuck - i.e. the server isn't responding properly and Newsbin is waiting? Even then it will eventually clear out.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby coyote2 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 am

DThor wrote:Yeah, that shouldn't happen. In Options/Setup what are Max Retries set to?

You should be able to see what's going on when it gets stuck - check the logging tab and also the connections to see what hung up where. I wonder if your connection is simply stuck - i.e. the server isn't responding properly and Newsbin is waiting? Even then it will eventually clear out.

Thank you very much for your reply, DT!

I'll see what the logging tab says and report back.
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 am

Hmm, coincidentally, I think I might have triggered what you're seeing. If a post has no file content, a message starts spewing out in the logging tab about empty content and it might be a DMCA takedown. In my case, it's not, it's just a comment post that's getting interpreted as a file post. Regardless, what seems to be happening is it gets in a loop and endlessly spits that message out, and eventually everything in the pipe comes to a standstill. Delete it, it picks up again. Any chance you're seeing that message?

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby coyote2 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:46 am

DThor wrote:Hmm, coincidentally, I think I might have triggered what you're seeing. If a post has no file content, a message starts spewing out in the logging tab about empty content and it might be a DMCA takedown. In my case, it's not, it's just a comment post that's getting interpreted as a file post. Regardless, what seems to be happening is it gets in a loop and endlessly spits that message out, and eventually everything in the pipe comes to a standstill. Delete it, it picks up again. Any chance you're seeing that message?
DT

Thank you very much for the reply, DThor!

'Unfortunately' I deleted the posts that were causing the issue and I have not yet stumbled upon another.
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:48 am

In the server options, under "Really Advanced" check "Body Mode". It's a real bug but, it doesn't seem to affect "Body Mode" downloads.

D helped me figure this one out. I'm looking at why it's happening and at a fix.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby coyote2 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:08 am

Quade wrote:In the server options, under "Really Advanced" check "Body Mode". It's a real bug but, it doesn't seem to affect "Body Mode" downloads.

D helped me figure this one out. I'm looking at why it's happening and at a fix.

Thank you very much, Quade!
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby coyote2 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:45 pm

coyote2 wrote:
Quade wrote:In the server options, under "Really Advanced" check "Body Mode". It's a real bug but, it doesn't seem to affect "Body Mode" downloads.

Thank you very much, Quade!

FYI, even with "Body Mode" checked...I've found a set of downloads which are stalling until I shutdown then restarting. And even then they stop again after only a very short while.
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:04 pm

To be clear, a specific download stopping in the queue isn't particularly unusual, my understanding was that *everything* in the queue stopped downloading until you deleted a stuck post. That's what I saw, anyway. A particular download not progressing typically means there's not enough chunks to repair. Take a look in the status column in the download queue - that tells you how many chunks are downloaded, not found and how many par chunks are there for repairs. If a given download simply stops in the queue, that's Newsbin telling you it needs attention and it's not looking like it will complete.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:25 pm

To me, a stall stops other downloads from happening. A particular set not downloading with 430 errors is just usenet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby coyote2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:35 am

Quade wrote:To me, a stall stops other downloads from happening. A particular set not downloading with 430 errors is just usenet.

Sorry I was unclear; I've got some filesets that, even with with "Body Mode" checked, stall the queue so that it never reaches the good filesets.
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 am

PM me a subject and group and I'll try it. Don't post it here.

You did restart after setting the option?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support