Uploading? What am I uploading?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Uploading? What am I uploading?

Postby chewspam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:40 am

I'm using NBP 6.41, and over the last few versions I've noticed that I'm uploading. My first few versions of NBP almost a year ago never uploaded. How can I tell what is being uploaded?
chewspam
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/26/12

Re: Uploading? What am I uploading?

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Assuming you're not using a cracked version or something unexpected, Newsbin uploads nothing unless you explicitly tell it to. You'd know if you did.

TCP requires some traffic to go back to the server for every N packets of data the server sends you.

[PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][<ACK][PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][<ACK]

That's just how TCP works. The faster you download, the more acks you'll be sending back to the server. I wonder if that's what you're seeing.

When downloading files, Newsbin has to send commands to the server for each article too.

[REQUEST>][<ARTICLE][REQUEST>][<ARTICLE][REQUEST>][<ARTICLE][REQUEST>][<ARTICLE][REQUEST>][<ARTICLE]
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby chewspam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Quade wrote:Assuming you're not using a cracked version or something unexpected, Newsbin uploads nothing unless you explicitly tell it to. You'd know if you did.

TCP requires some traffic to go back to the server for every N packets of data the server sends you.

[PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][<ACK][PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][PACKET>][<ACK]

That's just how TCP works. The faster you download, the more acks you'll be sending back to the server. I wonder if that's what you're seeing.

When downloading files, Newsbin has to send commands to the server for each article too.

[REQUEST>][<ARTICLE][REQUEST>][<ARTICLE][REQUEST>][<ARTICLE][REQUEST>][<ARTICLE][REQUEST>][<ARTICLE]

It seems to be a bit more than just an acknowledgement, and this is a paid for version of NBP. This may be outside of the scope of NBP support, but is there a way to see what is being sent? What the traffic is? Hell it's probably the NSA.
chewspam
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:30 pm

chewspam wrote:
Quade wrote:Assuming you're not using a cracked version or something unexpected, Newsbin uploads nothing unless you explicitly tell it to. You'd know if you did.

It seems to be a bit more than just an acknowledgement, and this is a paid for version of NBP. This may be outside of the scope of NBP support, but is there a way to see what is being sent? What the traffic is? Hell it's probably the NSA.

You do not give an indication of why you think something is being uploaded? For instance what you have looked at to make you think that might be happening.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby chewspam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:38 pm

itimpi wrote:
chewspam wrote:

You do not give an indication of why you think something is being uploaded? For instance what you have looked at to make you think that might be happening.

I only have DSL so my speed isn't that great to begin with, but in the bottom of the program where it shows how fast I'm downloading, it also says how fast I'm uploading. There use to be nothing there uploading, but now there is. So while I'm downloading at about 4Mbps, I'm also uploading about .5Mbps. Of course it fluctuates some, but isn't that an indication that something is uploading?
chewspam
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:41 pm

I get it.

Those two numbers are both showing only download speed. It's just two different ways to show the same speed.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby chewspam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Quade wrote:I get it.

Those two numbers are both showing only download speed. It's just two different ways to show the same speed.

:facepalm: Pay no attention to the n00b. :oops:
chewspam
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Ha, that's ok.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b