When will Retires Stop and PAR Files Download?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

When will Retires Stop and PAR Files Download?

Postby ppan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 am

I am having continued problems with AutoPAR.
I have now the following settings:
General Settings:
Max Retries =2

AutpPAR Settings:
Default values except:
Unchecked "Automatically UnRAR completed Sets"

Two RAR files have some missing blocks (shown in Newsbin as 1 block each) and they still have the nb2 extension.
Running QuickPAR shows these two files as missing (since they have the nb2 extension I guess).

There are several paused PAR files available (more than enough for repair) but none of them are downloaded.
The status for the set currently shows: [PAR: 2929 of 2955] D:226 DL:2 Inc:0 P:0 R:8 N:635

Why aren't the PAR files downloaded and the set repaired? Shouldn't that happen after 2 retries? It is now up to 8!?

p.s. v6.41 RC1
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/24/09

Re: When will Retires Stop and PAR Files Download?

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 am

It won't do it automatically till you have at least 90% of the PAR blocks. You can force it along by right clicking and "Assemble Incompletes" on the files.

Rightly or wrongly, Newsbin doesn't think you have enough blocks to repair the files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ppan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Quade wrote:It won't do it automatically till you have at least 90% of the PAR blocks. You can force it along by right clicking and "Assemble Incompletes" on the files.

Rightly or wrongly, Newsbin doesn't think you have enough blocks to repair the files.

Sorry, what do you mean by "till you have at least 90% of the PAR blocks"?
I don't have any of the PAR blocks (files) downloaded, they are all paused in the download queue.
There are 125 MB worth of PAR files (26 files) waiting to be downloaded, but only the original small PAR file was downloaded.

I clicked on "Assemble Incompletes" and a single PAR file (980 KB was downloaded) and the set repaired.
I have many sets that are stuck and the PAR files are just Paused. Do I have to manually click on all sets to download a PAR file to have the sets repaired?
Any suggestions on how to fix this so that AutoPAR does this automatically...?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:20 pm

How about googling "PAR" files? They're just about the most important thing on Usenet.

In a nutshell, every download with PAR files is split into PAR blocks. That's what PAR files track. The files you're downloading contain these blocks. Newsbin isn't going to attempt repair unless it thinks it has 90% of the download completed and ready. Sometimes if figures wrong and you have to step in. It's not going to assemble your incomplete files until it hits 90% too. Most PAR sets cover up to about 10% damage.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ppan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Last edited by ppan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby ppan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Quade wrote:How about googling "PAR" files? They're just about the most important thing on Usenet.

In a nutshell, every download with PAR files is split into PAR blocks. That's what PAR files track. The files you're downloading contain these blocks. Newsbin isn't going to attempt repair unless it thinks it has 90% of the download completed and ready. Sometimes if figures wrong and you have to step in. It's not going to assemble your incomplete files until it hits 90% too. Most PAR sets cover up to about 10% damage.

I am sorry, but I think that you misunderstood (I know perfectly well what PAR files are used for)
The PAR files are in the download list but Newsbin is not downloading any of them.
There are much more than enough PAR files in the download list to do the repair as long as Newsbin downloads them.
How can I get Newsbin to automatically download the PAR files so that it can attempt the repair?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby ppan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:08 pm

Something is seriously wrong here.

As I explained above, in a particular set, a few blocks were missing and I clicked on "Assemble Incompletes" which caused a single PAR to download and the set to repair.

With another set, that also missed a few blocks and plenty of PAR files in the download queue, Newsbin again did not download any of the PAR files.
Instead of also clicking "Assemble Incompletes" in this case, I closed and reopened Newsbin. Now Newsbin started to download all the RAR files again as well as all the PAR files (none of which were previously downloaded)!!?? Why were all the RAR files downloaded again?

However, Newsbin still does not repair. Using Quickpar I get "ready to recover using 13 of 201 recovery blocks" (note that QuickPar thinks that the file with a missing block is missing; maybe because it is still named nb2?). As previously, it just sits and retries.

I now have 3 problems in Total:
1. Why does News bin not automatically download any of the PAR files needed to repair a few missing blocks?
2. Why does Newsbin start to download all RAR files again after a restart?
3. Why does Newsbin not repair automatically after the restart when all the PAR files were downloaded..
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support