Reboot needed but don't want to reset my header download...

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Reboot needed but don't want to reset my header download...

Postby mdelig00 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm doing a very large header download on several groups. What is the process/steps that will allow me to pause/stop the download, shut down the computer, restart the program and continue where it left off? I'd rather get this information before I start trying things and mess it up.
mdelig00
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/29/12

Re: Reboot needed but don't want to reset my header download

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 pm

Exit, reboot, restart.

Then "Download Latest" on the group to make it download where it left off.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mdelig00 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 pm

Quade wrote:Exit, reboot, restart.

Then "Download Latest" on the group to make it download where it left off.

I selected the option to download ALL headers. When I restart the program I only have to select "download latest" and that will continue where it left off? Thanks.
mdelig00
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:59 pm

Re-read what I wrote.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mdelig00 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Quade wrote:Re-read what I wrote.

Ok, did what you said and running into problems. Of course, right? Still getting use to the way NB works.

If I right click on a.b.multimedia and select update latest (as you said) nothing happens. As you said I thought this would continue the header download, but it does not do that.

If I right click on a.b.multimedia and select show posts special and select 14 days, nothing comes up.
If I right click on a.b.multimedia and select show all posts will try to display every header on that group and I'll just get a blue bar going back and forth. So I'm sure there are headers there but I can't get then to display anywhere on the screen.
If I can't view the posts using select show posts special, how else can I view what is in this group?

If I right click on a.b.multimedia and select "show posts" nothing comes up. It was about half way done before I re-started the computer. Let me ask, where did those headers go that took 3 days to download before I restarted the program? I want to be able to continue to download the headers of that group where it left off. As I said before if I select "download latest" it comes up in file download list for about 3 seconds then disappears.
mdelig00
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:56 pm

If I right click on a.b.multimedia and select update latest (as you said) nothing happens. As you said I thought this would continue the header download, but it does not do that.

Nothing goes to the download list?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mdelig00 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:06 am

Quade wrote:

Nothing goes to the download list?

Yes, it quickly puts itself in the download list then disappears. I'm a new user to the program so I'm still trying things out, but I've tried in the past week to download all headers in some groups and in all cases it has failed for one reason or another so far. Having the a.b.multimedia fail on me and can't get it going again has pretty much deterred me from spending any more time on doing it for now. I can't keep starting, then failing, then trying again and then just having the same negative results. According to what I've been told, selecting the option to DOWNLOAD LATEST was suppose to get the rest of the headers in that group but it just didn't work. Besides the log, what else can the user follow to see what is going on with the header download? The option DOWNLOAL LATEST is tied to some setting somewhere on how much it downloads, right? Are the headers downloading into an SQL DB or something that maybe gets corrupt all the time? Since I'm kind of use to starting over, I've already killed all history and cleared all current headers. What I'm going to do is try to download headers in just one group.

If I start the header download in one group and have to reboot or reset the machine, what is the process to continue the header download where it left off before the reboot? Is the DOWNLOAD LATEST option set to download ALL headers and continue where it left off last time it was running? I'm making sure because I want to finally get all headers in one group. I'm also doing all this on my high powered PC, so this will eliminate resource/speed issues. Wish me luck.

Also, Happy New Year.
mdelig00
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 am

I told you how to do it. I don't know why it didn't work for you. It works for me and for other people who've done the same thing.

If you load what you have, see how many days ago it is, you can set the "download age" to this number, right click the group. "Post Storage/Use Download Age" to reset it to use download age, then do another "Download Latest".

All always means all. If you tell it all, it'll wipe the group and start over again. Every time you do "all".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support