downloaded pieces lost/reset on program close?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

downloaded pieces lost/reset on program close?

Postby tastyratz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Ive noticed a few things with nbpro lately,
I have a lot of things on my download list. If I close the program or unexpectedly crash with it open all download progress/pieces are lost and it starts from the beginning. If a download starts I would think it will resume where it left off? every time I start up my dl list has 0kb complete on all downloads.

If my machine shuts down/crashes with nbpro open the status of all my downloads is reset to resume. if I paused them (for a reason) as soon as I start nbpro again all start fresh. my battery backup has been on the fritz lately so i have noticed this. Not every time, but I have had to re-pause my downloads at least a few times this month (block acct, those files can wait till next month)
tastyratz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/15/04

Re: downloaded pieces lost/reset on program close?

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:09 am

If your PC crashes. All bets are off. It means Newsbin can't save anything about the current status. Normally Newsbin save state about partial downloads when it exits.

If you exit Newsbin and re-start on the other hand, it should remember and only re-download enough to get itself back into downloading new files again.

I'm going to revisit this for 6.50.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tastyratz » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:16 pm

well for what it's worth, even if I close newsbin properly every single time if it didn't complete it starts over from the beginning. seems to be without fail.

That being said if you did revisit this and create some sort of a progress autosave every few minutes that would be helpful.
tastyratz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

I don't believe it starts completely over again. I think it downloads the first chunk of the file, then verifies that the file with the same name already on disk is the correct one.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tastyratz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:44 am

if it does it that way it should zip right through its verification of what's on disk. what it does for me is if I had 4 hours to download all the chunks I have, it will re-download again for 4 hours. its definitely grabbing complete files.
tastyratz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Mascot » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:52 pm

I was about to make a post about this as well, as I'm having the same issue. Instead of picking back up where it left off, NB creates a whole new set of files with a (nnnn) suffix, ignoring all the files that are already present from the previous download.

I'm not sure if this behavior began with a particular version, or when I switched to Win8. I'm currently using 6.41 RC1.
Mascot
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/25/06

Postby wyldemusick » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:39 am

No, it definitely began several versions back as it used to look to the download directory even after a crash, and check to see if files were already there. And then it suddenly went to the behavior of starting from scratch. The workaround is to figure out which files it already has, then pause those in the file list, or delete them..which is sometimes not possible.
wyldemusick
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/10/12

Return to V6 Technical Support