Insert header data into database in the background

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Insert header data into database in the background

Postby nbwul62 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:31 am

Whilst wondering whether there would be any switch/option available to show more logging-details about downloads, that is to say, when NB started the download and when NB completed it (logging now shows the filename only), I came accross a switch "Insert header data into database in the background".

Wonder what this is doing and/or what it can be used for.

I think v.600 Help (http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V600-Options-Switches) has not yet been updated on this point.

TIA
=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Re: Insert header data into database in the background

Postby DThor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:34 am

I do remember that option, but it's not there in more recent releases, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's possible it disappeared from recent cuts and it wasn't supposed to, I guess, but I can't find it. AFAIK it defaults to 'on' and basically means Newsbin downloads the headers and they clear out of the download queue as soon as that happens. It takes some time, depending on volume, to insert the newly downloaded headers into the spools so that keeps going on while you can do other things. You can see how it's going by looking at the bottom status line and Cache - the number in brackets(if any) are how many groups are still to be processed. Before, the entries wouldn't clear out of the download queue until the insert is done. Now I type this out, I'm pretty sure that option is gone now.

Yeah, Newsbin is constantly changing so the help pages can slip behind. It's pretty close to what the current beta is, atm though.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:17 am

"Insert in Background"' is the default now. The other method performed so poorly I just removed it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby nbwul62 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:58 am

Thanks to you both!
=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Postby rh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Regarding the number in parenthesis, I've just been waiting till it was gone to load any groups. Today for some reason it climbed to 495 and has started counting down - probably at the usual pace.

While looking at the groups list, I can see the New Records being incremented occasionally while this process runs.

So it would seem that it would be not advisable to load a group while it's still being processed.

If that's true, I wish I could know what groups were finished processing so I could be looking in those while the others get updated in the background.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:29 pm

It's designed so, if you load the group while it's processing, new records are added to the display as they're imported. I don't see any problem loading the group and browsing while it's still importing.

That said, I do believe I've managed to speed up the import process. Should be in the next beta.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rh » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:23 am

A search on cache brought me back here. Lately the rate at which the (nnn) decreases is much slower. I can see persistent r/w activity on the target drive.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:56 am

I think it's all the spam that's been hitting the groups. The groups I follow have been infested with it.

Been looking at speeding it up again but, it's a vast amount of data.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Saw a discussion about fragmentation somewhere and see the affected files are heavily fragmented. Will fix that before the next update and see how that works. I keep forgetting to defrag this particular drive. The db files there have probably not been defragged since I went to V6.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support