Issue with new file attributes

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Issue with new file attributes

Postby Delecron » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:04 am

It seems all file downloaded with v 6.40 are being flagged temporary in Windows 7. The only way to fix it is through a pain in the ass powershell command. It is preventing files from being uploaded to Google Music. See this post

http://productforums.google.com/d/msg/a ... qiqhqmIp8J

Anything we can do about this? The files that were auto unRar'ed are fine.

Thanks
Delecron
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/30/12

Re: Issue with new file attributes

Postby DThor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:21 am

Ugh, I wish google groups wouldn't require sign-ins to view things, made me nervous so I just googled the issue and found it. Yeah, looks like yet another good intention gone awry, in this case an attribute that almost nobody uses suddenly being used. The notion is that if an app makes a file, it's not intended to be copied far and wide, it's just meant to be local to that application. I'm quite sure there's nothing newsbin is doing explicitly to set that, no point to it.
I've noticed symantec will set this bit on downloaded files, that may be true of other AV, could you try disabling any to test this?
It's possible it's some sort of default file writing behaviour for applications, though. Might be worth looking at.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:17 am

Nothing can be done till it's changed in code. That means not till 6.41.

Google groups let me in because I'm not signed into google. Kind of funny that being signed in punishes you in a way that not being signed in doesn't.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Delecron » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:46 am

I tried the Powershell script, didn't work for me and I'm not about to learn it and have to run it or come up with some automated process, I paid for full Newsbin w/ the remote access so I wouldn't have to do stuff like that.

I just made a Fat32 Partition on another drive and pointed Newsbin / Google Music Manager there, works like a charm.
Delecron
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/30/12

Postby DThor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:40 am

Well, as I said, it's not something Newsbin is explicitly doing, it's something else. Your FAT partition made the problem go away because the filesystem doesn't support the bit, but I was sort of curious if it was a 3rd party AV or a default file write behaviour thing. At least Quade is aware that it may be an issue in future...

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:31 am

I removed the temp attribute. I assume this is come undocumented google "feature" I'm stepping on. Maybe they set it too to indicate a file they've already uploaded.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support