can't install update

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

can't install update

Postby John C » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:36 am

I always take updates when they beome available. I don't always see them immediately because Newsbin is running more or less continously. Currently I am running 6.40 build 2057, and I downloaded the latest update, closed Newbin, and started the installer. Immediately I get an error message saying that I am not connected to internet, and installer will go no further since message says newsbin needs to download updated fiiles.

Now, I AM connected to internet - browser, email, etc running fine - but I cant seem to get beyond the implacable message annoucing that I AM NOT connected. Firefox is default browser, but MOTD box comes up in an IE box, not a Firefox one. I am baffled. Message that appears about a quarter way through installation attempt reads "internet connectivity is required for installer to download the latest executables"

Newsbin is otherwise working just as well as always, with no other problems evident. In fact if I try to start the update without closing Newsbin, the message pops up on the screen, and I can still see the staus bar running as normal.

Anyone else had this problem or anything similar, please?

Thanks
John C
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/03

Re: can't install update

Postby itimpi » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:55 am

John C wrote:Now, I AM connected to internet - browser, email, etc running fine - but I cant seem to get beyond the implacable message annoucing that I AM NOT connected. Firefox is default browser, but MOTD box comes up in an IE box, not a Firefox one.

That is normal behavior. IE is always used for this purpose as it is the only browser that supports embedding itself in an application.
I am baffled. Message that appears about a quarter way through installation attempt reads "internet connectivity is required for installer to download the latest executables"

I would think it is odds on that your firewall is blocking the Newsbin installer from accessing the internet. I would try disabling the firewall while installing Newsbin. Also, after you have successfully installed Newsbin it is quite likely that you will have to tell your firewall about it as most firewalls treat an update as if it were a new program.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby John C » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Thank you re IE.

I have tried disabling WIndows firewall, as suggested and also switching it off completely. Nwsbin Pro is IS listed among firwall exceptions. Still no joy, still same message that computer is not connected. I am going tto try complete shutdown/restart. I am running Win XP Home should that be relevant in any way. I am very grateful for your help with this, for I am pretty poor on the tech side of computing, as is all too clear here, cheers, John C

Update - no change after restart, clearly computer IS connected, otherwise this update would not be on screen :D
John C
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:03 pm

It's the installer that's being blocked off the Internet, not Newsbin. A workaround is to download the full installer that does not contact our servers to download the latest executables. It's on the download page a little further down but the direct link is http://www.newsbin.com/downloads/nb640-full.exe
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby John C » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Thank you Dexter, perfect first time. I shall try to remember to use that link in the future.
John C
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support