Autopar Block Counts Indicate good files but, UnRAR FAILED

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Autopar Block Counts Indicate good files but, UnRAR FAILED

Postby bonnie335 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Hello!

I have a problem with Newsbin V6. Suddenly all my movie downloads gets the message UnRAR failed. It downloads the files, then downloads the pars, then repairs till 99%, and starts to Unrar, when UnRAR is finished I get the message UnRAR failed. And in Logging It says:

ERROR - AutoPARPlugin: UnRAR failed
ERROR - AutoPARPlugin: Autopar Block Counts Indicate good files but, UnRAR FAILED: No UnRAR:

When I check with Multipar there are incomplete files and I can repair and extract manually.

I download for the most part large files, Blu-Rays and BD Remux with NZB's.

I've tried Newsbin 6.20, 6.21, 6.34, 6.40B7. Same results.
I've reformatted my harddrive and reinstalled my Windows 7 64bit.
I've tried to download to 3 different hard drives.

I've tried my newsserver account on a different computer with Newsbin 6.20 and there is no problem there.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.
bonnie335
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/16/08

Re: Autopar Block Counts Indicate good files but, UnRAR FAIL

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:17 pm

I've tried my newsserver account on a different computer with Newsbin 6.20 and there is no problem there.

This is mighty suspicious. Basically Newsbin thinks the repair worked properly but, the files were still damaged. I'm leaning toward bad RAM or something like that. Your own testing shows that it's specific to the PC. That suggests the problem is the PC, drivers or hardware.

First thing I might do is download and unrar to a different drive if you have more than one. See if that works.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby bonnie335 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I have tried 3 drives. Same result.

Seems Multipar also has trouble repairing some of them even though it has enough pars. It just says failed to repair. Some movies can be repaired in multipar, some can't. I can't understand this problem.
bonnie335
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Well, that tells me even more. The problem is the PC. If you're overclocked, put the speed back to normal. I'd find and run some memory checkers too. You've done the hard work. You've proved it's this PC that's the problem. Now the only question is whether the problem is bad hardware or bad software.

- I'd check the ram.

- Run it at stock speed.

- Open the case and make sure it's not overheating

- Blow out the vents if it's a laptop.

- uninstall your firewall and virus scanner then reboot and try another download.

- Might pull out the RAM and re-seat it. If you have multiple RAM sticks and can pull one out, I might try with one stick and then with the other to see of the problem is only with one stick of RAM.

If none of that works and the RAM checks out, it might be time to re-install windows too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby itimpi » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:45 pm

I once had a similar problem where it turned out to be the hard disk controller that could corrupt data being written when running under very heavy load.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby bonnie335 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:32 am

I have now replaced the Ram but the same problem persists. I reinstalled Windows a few days ago, it didn't help. I've checked Cpu and MB temperature, they're fine. I'm not overclocked. I've tried uninstalling AVG anti-virus.

Around the same time the problem started I also started getting blue screens and strange problems with some of my programs, like uTorrent and PowerDVD suddenly shutting down. I thought it was a virus so I reinstalled Windows. My computer worked flawlessly for about a year with this hardware before it all started happening 2 weeks ago.

So it's not RAM. Not Newsbin. Not my Newsserver. I'm running out of options. Maybe my SDD where the OS and the Newsbin Datafolder is located. Or the motherboard itself might be faulty.
bonnie335
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Around the same time the problem started I also started getting blue screens and strange problems with some of my programsl

Blue screens always mean a problem with the PC too. Did you install all the latest drivers when you re-installed? It's starting to sound like bad hardware.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DThor » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm sure everyone has their theories out on the intarwebz, but when I start to get really nasty stuff like that happening, it seems that statistically, for systems that ran just fine for years, I found it was the power supply was the weak link in the chain out of mboards, memory, etc. Absolutely, the quality of power supply can affect this, but most people outside of real power users tend to use rather generic power supplies, and once your power starts to get unstable, you get things like this.

Of course it could be the mboard, but if you're at the point where you are thinking about replacing parts of the computer, and not just buying a new one, I've found it's not that hard to find an old power supply from an older computer you can swap out - it's excellent for tracking down the cause.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby re838uk » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:18 pm

stab in the dark - long pathways?
re838uk
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/19/09

Postby bonnie335 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:13 am

My pathway is D:\Supernews\$(NZBFILE)\
As it has always been.

I've shifted my SSD from the Intel onboard Sata Controller to the onboard Marvel Sata controller. Same problem. Tried 5 downloads during the night with the same problem. I tried a few smaller downloads, a few Dvd's, they worked. No error on these. Only on larger 10-30 Gigabyte downloads.

I think I'm using the same drivers as when everything was working, it all happened overnight it seems.

I'm using 2 discs with Raid 1 Array on my Intel Rapid Storage Technology and in the last 2 weeks it has reported 3 times that it has to recover files, usually at 90+ percent and it goes to a 100% and everything is fine again. I don't know if this i related to the Blue Screens or the MB.

I have to try another Power Supply.
bonnie335
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:14 am

Long paths don't cause BSOD. What tends to happen is it just doesn't work, the OS is confronted by something the file system just can't parse, the response is 'fail', but once the system starts locking up you're into either a corrupt install, or hardware problems.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby ThePrimal » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I came here because I have a similar issue and thought Newsbin is the cause.

Only big downloads (never tv shows of 350MB) never get through with 100%. Newsbin gets the PARs, repairs, extracts and prompts with an error.

The error Newsbin gave me was part37.rar. I closed Newsbin, went to the folder and used WinRAR to test-extract. It gave me an error at part10.rar. Weird.
I used Quickpar which gave me 2 incompletes (part7.rar anhd part31.rar), which I did not repair.
Here is the kicker: I extracted manually and first run gave me an error at part11.rar. Just out of curiosity I extracted again. It went through: I got a complete file. WTF!?

So maybe just try around... I have no idea what the cause is, but it does not seem to be Newsbin per se...
ThePrimal
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/09/03

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Yeah, it's your PC. Probably bad ram. Maybe your virus scanner.

The fact it's intermittent and changes with each run tells me you've probably got some hardware that's failing. Is this an AMD powered machine?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ThePrimal » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Yes it is. I just ran another test... It's probably my HD. I switched to an external USB-drive because my usual HD was full. I did not notice it at first but I guess the error messages started when I switched the drive. I just copied some stuff from the old drive to the other (failing?) one and downloaded the movie to my usual drive: Newsbin repaired and extracted without a glitch. So maybe the OP has a similar issue...
ThePrimal
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/09/03

Postby bonnie335 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:18 am

Quade was right all along. It was bad RAM. When I replaced the RAM I didn't check it with Memtest86+. I was absolutely sure the new RAM was good. But one of the sticks was faulty. Both my RAM setups was from Corsair, so in the future no more Corsair. Now Newsbin works like a charm again. Thanks!
bonnie335
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:53 am

Sweet! Love problems like this with a real solution.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support