How do I see downloads as individual files like v5.x?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

How do I see downloads as individual files like v5.x?

Postby mickrick » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:52 pm

I have just moved to v6 and I am having bad teething problems. When I open an nzb, all the files in the collection are grouped together in the download list box with an expandable "+". When I expand this, I can see all the files in the collection, but any changes I make apply to all the files. If I just want to download pars, or try to move anything to the top or bottom of the list, it doesn't work. If I try to highlight and delete files from the download list, they all get deleted.

How can I go back to manipulating each file in a collection as an idividual download like in earlier versions?
mickrick
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/03/12

Re: How do I see downloads as individual files like v5.x?

Postby itimpi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm

If you want to be able to manipulate the individual files you have to open up the compacted set in the Post list before you queue them and then add the files indivudally to the Download list. If you do this then they show up as separate entries that you can manipulate individually.

Most people now do not want to do this, but prefer to queue the compacted sets and let the Newsbin autopar system handle downloading par2 files when needed; carrying out repairs; and unpacking rar'ed file sets.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby mickrick » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:14 pm

itimpi wrote:If you want to be able to manipulate the individual files you have to open up the compacted set in the Post list before you queue them and then add the files indivudally to the Download list.

Sorry, I don't understand this.
mickrick
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/03/12

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Ah, I get it. You already have the files in the download list. Basically you can't manipulate them on a file level once they're in the download list. You'd have to "Load NZB" the NZB into a listing and then use the + icon. I'm toying with the idea of letting you edit the individual files. It's not going to make 6.4 though.

Why not just let Newsbin do it's thing with the grouped set of files? Add the set, watch the download see if it repair and unrars. You can always add more rars by hand by + iconing the unpausing the parts.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby haileris » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:09 pm

The only PITA this change has been for me is because I have 2 usenet providers and sometimes by combining the downloads I can make a full set out of an incomplete. I say PITA because it is trick to only download certain RARs etc :)
haileris
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/06/15

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Why not download headers from both, set the one that costs to "fill" then just let the download go? Newsbin will automatically combine the headers from multiple servers.

If you use NZB's, just leave both servers active.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby itimpi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:37 am

haileris wrote:The only PITA this change has been for me is because I have 2 usenet providers and sometimes by combining the downloads I can make a full set out of an incomplete. I say PITA because it is trick to only download certain RARs etc :)

If you have two servers configured in Newsbin it will automatically try both servers when looking for parts. This seems much easier than doing it yourself manually. If you want one server to be used preferentially then set the other as a 'Fill' server and it will only be used for parts that cannot be found on the preferred server.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Return to V6 Technical Support