NewsBin wouldn't pause but is now continually pausing!

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NewsBin wouldn't pause but is now continually pausing!

Postby Bazza42 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:58 am

During the last three days NewsBin, when manually 'paused', continually restarted the downloads after a few seconds.
I got round this by pausing all the individual files in the download list and this worked fine until today when I had to reboot
my machine for an unrelated reason (Norton).

Now NewsBin has gone totally into reverse and as soon as it is 'unpaused' it d/loads for 2-3 seconds and then pauses itself:
the individual files are marked for d/load but NewsBin appears to issue a 'systemwide' pause, lights up the red 'paused indicator
and the also the paused 'control button' in the icon bar. If I click on the icon then it d/loads for a couple of seconds and pauses
itself again.This I can't get round so I updated from 6.31 to 6.34, and rebooted my system but am experiencing identical symptoms
with 6.34.

As I can access GigaNews, my provider, OK with Newsleecher it would appear that the problem lies in my system and, presumably with NewsBin.
Apart from the 'forced reboot' caused by my Norton update there have been no changes to my system since the initial outbreak.

I use 64bit Windows 7 with 6.34

Any ideas?
Bazza42
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/03/08

Re: NewsBin wouldn't pause but is now continually pausing!

Postby itimpi » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:36 am

Have you got the Newsbin Scheduler enabled? This would explain your symptoms as the scheduler periodically tries to reset the Pause state to match the scheduler settings you have specified.

If you want manual control of the Pause state you need to have the scheduler disabled (you can toggle its state by clicking the entry in the Status bar).
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Return to V6 Technical Support