I have the weirdest problem

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

I have the weirdest problem

Postby darkfalz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:26 am

For the last few weeks I've had 3 text files reappear in my Downloads folder, despite having deleted them dozens of times. I thought it was Windows doing this, but I've tracked it down that it is Newsbin re-creating these files. They get recreated when I start Newsbin and it auto-loads NZB files from the (same) Downloads folder.

Any ideas? I can probably delete all the DB3 files and it might stop, but it is the strangest bug I've ever seen.
darkfalz
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: I have the weirdest problem

Postby DThor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:33 am

There's a file called downloads.db3 in your data folder(which you can find in options with the 'open data folder' button). When newsbin isn't running and there's nothing outstanding in the queue , rename or delete that file. Should address it, perhaps that file got pooched somehow.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:22 am

So, you're autoloading NZB's from the download folder?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby darkfalz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:49 pm

I download to C:\Downloads\Newsbin

NZB autoload from C:\Downloads and end up in C:\Downloads\Loaded

The weird thing is these files have nothing to do with and were not downloaded by Newsbin, they are text files from an emulator. But it is definitely Newsbin which is resurrecting them.
darkfalz
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm not sure that's a good idea. Newsbin looks one folder down for NZB's so, it's looking both in the "C:\Download\" and in the C:\Download\Newsbin folder for NZB files to download.

As for the text files. The only way Newsbin would know to download them is to load the NZB. Maybe it's finding an NZB in the C:\Download\Newsbin and picking it up. The way autoload works, that's a real possibility. It looks inside zips and rars too so, I'm thinking the problem is the way you have autoload setup. Newsbin is finding an NZB embedded in some other files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby darkfalz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Weird, it makes sense for me to have the auto-load folder be the default Chrome download folder. I did't know it checks inside RAR and ZIP - maybe this is how they're getting extracted.
darkfalz
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:43 pm

If you just set the Newsbin download folder to some other folder, this goes away too. The default Chrome download folder is in your user tree "C:\Users\<User>\bla bla \download"
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DThor » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:18 am

Every time I see one of these threads I renew my request that the user shouldn't be allowed to set the auto download folder to the download folder. :-) I'm wondering if the simplest option would be to have a truly annoying message spit out in the status every time newsbin checks for an nzb? Or at least on startup, perhaps? I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want this scenario given the way Newsbin scans the folder...

I can see why someone wouldn't particularly think there would be a problem with this when setting up.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby darkfalz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:04 pm

C:\Downloads was really my %USERPROFILE%\Downloads I was just illustrating the hierarchy.

NZB downloads folder should be your default browser download folder IMO. For me, I'd rather it not check inside zips/rars or subfolders for NZBs, since I only save them to the one folder.

Incidentally I removed the RAR file containing those text files and it no longer happens. Must have been something about that RAR file.
darkfalz
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support