Stuck at "Retry" / HFC:Duplicate Detector Match

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Stuck at "Retry" / HFC:Duplicate Detector Match

Postby jaochoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:57 pm

The following problem occured for the 2nd time now already:

I am downloading a large RAR archive with Newsbin that is split into several dozens of r00, r01, r02,... files. Everything goes normal until, apparently, all parts have downloaded, when the download status turns to: "Retry: x, Next: y, Completed: 0%" (whereas x and y are integers) and stucks there. When I expand the RAR archive in the download list (by clicking the plus icon), I can see that:
- all file parts show the green icon that indicates a download was finished
- all file parts show the status "downloaded"
- all file parts show an equal number for downloaded size and total size (i.e. indicating that the download was completed)

The first time this happened, I first tried to manually unrar using WinRAR, but got an error message saying something like the header is corrupted or broken or something. I then just deleted everything and loaded the NZB file again, started the download again, and everthing worked fine.

The second time this is happening now, it's even worse because the archive now is 13GB (the first one was only 3GB) which I don't want to download all over again. In this case, I first tried to AutoPAR/QuickPAR on that archive in Newsbin, but got an error that no PAR file was found (which could be the case---I didn't see it in the download list). After restarting Newsbin (which I had to do for a different reason, because I purchased a new key), the download moved to the failed downloads tab, where it is now listed with a status saying "HFC:Duplicate Detecor Match". In the failed downloads list, it now shows that 0 Bytes have downloaded, but in Windows Explorer all parts are still there. When I try to manually unrar using WinRAR, I am getting a CRC error in file r77 and r86.

I hope someone can help here because re-downloading everything again is really wasting time/bandwidth.
jaochoo
n00b
n00b

Re: Stuck at "Retry" / HFC:Duplicate Detector Match

Postby jaochoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:18 pm

I could be wrong, but could it be that some file parts got corrupted while downloading them, and since there is no PAR file, the download stucks at this "Retry" status message? So I should re-download the corrupted parts again? If so, how can I only re-download e.g. parts r77 and r86?
jaochoo
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:40 pm

What version of Newsbin are you using?

When I try to manually unrar using WinRAR, I am getting a CRC error in file r77 and r86.

If you download something and don't also download PAR files with that something, the chance of failure goes up with the size of the file. Some smaller RAR sets, I'd download without PARS. I certainly wouldn't download something > 1G without PAR files. All it takes is one corrupt byte to prevent the download from ever working. Without PAR files, Newsbin can't check the files to see if they're any good.

Newsbin probably attempted to unrar the files. It does that when it doesn't have PAR files but, it's no different than WinRAR. If the RAR files are corrupted then it can't unrar them either. PAR files are used to both check and repair damaged files. That's why they're an essential part of downloading these days. Large downloads wouldn't be possible without them. Usenet is best effort. It wasn't designed for bulk downloading. That's why PAR files are used to make the process possible.

I don't know about re-downloading though. If the RAR files are on disk, I see no reason to re-download them again. You could try just re-downloading the ones with bad CRC's but, if the problem is on the server end, re-downloading won't help.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jaochoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:36 pm

Quade wrote:What version of Newsbin are you using?

v6.34.1886

Quade wrote: You could try just re-downloading the ones with bad CRC's but, if the problem is on the server end, re-downloading won't help.

How can I re-download just a few specific files? Funny enough, after restarting Newsbin again (Windows had to shutdown because some automatic updates) I see the download off the failed download tab and back in the download list again, as if it were never downloaded before.
jaochoo
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 pm

If you're using an NZB, use "Load NZB" to load it into the list then hit the + icon select the two bad files and hit Ctrl-Y to force them to download again. I'd suggest deleting the two corrupt one on disk first. If you're using headers or search, just hit the + icon and do the same thing.

This probably won't solve your problem though. You're better off trying to find and download the pars so, you can repair what you have.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jaochoo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:53 am

Quade wrote:You're better off trying to find and download the pars so, you can repair what you have.

What's the best way to find these pars? Through a NZB search engine or something?
jaochoo
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:33 am

I don't really know how you got the information you're using to download now so, it's hard to suggest. If you used an NZB Site to get rar file listings then the PARs should be listed at the same site.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jaochoo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 am

Quade wrote:You're better off trying to find and download the pars so, you can repair what you have.

It seems I found the par2 file. Another 1.3GB I'm downloading now. Now, the next question then would be how I use the par2 file? The archive moved to the "Failed Downloads" tab with that "HFC:Duplicate Detector Match" error, and there the context-menu doesn't have any Repair/QuickPAR option. So how do I bring together the previously downloaded main files and the now newly downloading par2 file?
jaochoo
n00b
n00b

Postby jaochoo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 am

Okay, I did not have to do anything, Newsbin automatically QuickPARed and UnRARed once the par2 was finished downloaded. Worked like a charme. Thanks!
jaochoo
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 am

I'd suggest installing the latest "WinRAR" and "QuickPar". Newsbin tries but, it'll never be 100% so, you might have to manually quickpar and unrar.

Normally, Newsbin only downloads enough pars to get the job done.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support