Newsbin aggressive

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin aggressive

Postby Maxdout38 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Need a little help.
I liked the old way Newsbin handled pars.
Right now if I download, par files are finishing before the complete download of the main files.

What is the proper settings to:
Take the files and the par & only download the pars if there is something missing in the files.

I guess I'm asking for some help with the option settings.

Thank you

maxdout38

Using 6.40 Beta 6
Maxdout38
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/03/10

Re: Newsbin aggressive

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Make sure "Pause Pars...." is checked in the autopar tab. I'd not use aggressive mode. It's only for special cases.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Maxdout38 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Yes it already is.....

In Autopar Options, I have checked:

1. Automatically UnRAR Complete sets
2. Del Rars & Pars on successful UnRar
3. Pause Pars and only download the ones needed for repair

I selected a par and 7 files.

At the end of the download:
Critical Error Message pops up:

ERROR - AutoParPlugin: UnRar failed (bunch of numbers)
ERROR - AutoParPlugin Autopar Block counts indicate good files but, UnRAR FAILRD: No UNRAR : File name

I run Quickpar and 'Repair not needed'
So the Par(set of files) downloaded completely before the files are.
Par is running before the last file has a chance to download.
I noticed the complete Par set downloaded first.
Pause is set on.

Also the par files stay in the download list when finished.

I have to manually delete them.

What am I missing?

Maxdout38
Maxdout38
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:57 pm

ERROR - AutoParPlugin: UnRar failed (bunch of numbers)
ERROR - AutoParPlugin Autopar Block counts indicate good files but, UnRAR FAILRD: No UNRAR : File name

This is probably a B6 issue. Might want to revert. I added recursive unrar and that seems to cause issues with non-RAR PAR set. I'm going to guess that these aren't RAR sets? Either that or just delete them from the download list manually till I can fix this. Recursive unrar means unrar rars that are inside the main rars.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maxdout38 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:12 pm

No they're not.

They're pars with mp3's.

Went back to 6.34 with build 1886.

This is still happening:
Why are all the PAR files downloading first.

I also downloaded a rar with pars and it worked flawlessly.
Maxdout38
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:41 am

Some posts are simply posted incorrectly. Newsbin tries to handle as many posts as possible, but it's usenet and the wild west, you can't possibly predict how every last post will be executed. It seems that might be the case here, anyway. Newsbin needs a way to connect the pars to the posts. Might be worth sending a PM to Quade with a copy paste from the properties from the pars so he can take a look.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 am

I just think it's the issue I know about already in B6 brought on by the recursive unrar code. Just something that needs fixing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maxdout38 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:55 pm

DThor wrote:Some posts are simply posted incorrectly. Newsbin tries to handle as many posts as possible, but it's usenet and the wild west, you can't possibly predict how every last post will be executed. It seems that might be the case here, anyway. Newsbin needs a way to connect the pars to the posts. Might be worth sending a PM to Quade with a copy paste from the properties from the pars so he can take a look.

DT

So is there a way to just D/L the par2 file & the MP3's, then stop if everything checks out?
Maxdout38
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:21 am

Well, Quade said he thinks it's a known bug, so I'd just wait for the next release. I've personally not encountered this issue.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:27 am

Think I fixed it yesterday. Testing it.

Have to make sure I didn't break something else.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RevRagnarok » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:11 pm

I think I am hitting a similar problem. Not only does it download all the PAR files, it then repairs the set before the rest finish downloading, resulting in the "Critical Error Messages" window popping up and spamming me with "Unable to Rename Output file" because the fixed file already exists.
RevRagnarok
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/20/05

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:25 pm

The only solution I see would be to permit some sort of manual PAR to file grouping. The other option would be an option that requires that at least some of every larger file in a set be there, even if not complete, before it attempts to repair. The problem is, when they're not grouped, there's no knowledge of when all the files of the set have been downloaded because you don't know a file belongs to a set, till it's downloaded (chicken and egg problem).

I'm assuming you still end up with your files, you just get errors?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RevRagnarok » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:39 pm

IIRC, the subjects all matched. This only started happening today (just upgraded to 6.34 from 6.30, I think). Yes, I get all the files, plus some extra *.nb2 files, and all the unnecessarily downloaded extra *.par2 ones.
RevRagnarok
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/20/05

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:57 am

PM me an example subject and group and I'll check it out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maxdout38 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54 pm

Maxdout38 wrote:
DThor wrote:Some posts are simply posted incorrectly. Newsbin tries to handle as many posts as possible, but it's usenet and the wild west, you can't possibly predict how every last post will be executed. It seems that might be the case here, anyway. Newsbin needs a way to connect the pars to the posts. Might be worth sending a PM to Quade with a copy paste from the properties from the pars so he can take a look.

DT

So is there a way to just D/L the par2 file & the MP3's, then stop if everything checks out?

Does Beta 7 try to solve this issue?
Maxdout38
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Maxdout38 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:55 pm

RevRagnarok wrote:I think I am hitting a similar problem. Not only does it download all the PAR files, it then repairs the set before the rest finish downloading, resulting in the "Critical Error Messages" window popping up and spamming me with "Unable to Rename Output file" because the fixed file already exists.

Exact issue I was having..... Wondering if Beta 7 tries to solve this issue......
Maxdout38
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby duckegg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi, think I have this problem too. I'm using v6.34: 00 5D 5E 13 73 16

I go to the alt.binaries.????? and select the files - i'm not using nbz, as I want a quantity of files from alt.binaries.?????

I have some that are just short of completion, but with pars should be fine. Firstly they stack up because they are not renamed as .rar

If i select them and do Assemble Incompletes, I still get (03_14)_Ste-SIE.part2.rar_-679,56MB-yEnc.nb2.

If i select the same newsgroup file again it works too. Can't even get it to be consistent :(

Other times I have both the .nb2 and .rar and when I do a file duplicate compare then they show as having the same content and complete.

the par file looks like "Step - SIE.vol00+01.PAR2" and the downloaded file looks like "(03_14)_Ste-SIE.part2.rar_-679,56MB-yEnc.nb2" so there are a few spaces missing.

Thanks
duckegg
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/03/10

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:44 pm

I'd look in the logging tab for errors. I suspect your problem is different than that these other guys are describing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maxdout38 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:35 pm

So far, Beta 7 seems to work better. Not done fully testing yet.
Maxdout38
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby crosgrove » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Exact same problem with my set-up for a while now. It is getting to, or has already gotten to, the point where downlaoding is becoming pointless--nothing is extracting. Just to add a new wrinkle however, not only won't Newsbin extract these, but heither will Hamster's un-rar program. And, Quickpar is, every freaking last time, saying I need to 2 more blocks to be able to repair the files. (Gonna slap that MF program unless it learns a new number besides freaking "2". Tell me I need 30 or some other such number that is not almost enough to get the job done.) But, is there something from a log file I could post to help with sorting out the problem?
crosgrove
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/11/07

Postby Quade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Well, if your external tools don't work, that's probably why Newsbin's not working too.

I'd be looking for 430 errors and timeout errors in the log. One thing that helps people is to reduce connections to something below max. Most people run too many connections for how fast their internet speed is. This can induce errors.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby crosgrove » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Quade wrote:Well, if your external tools don't work, that's probably why Newsbin's not working too.

I'd be looking for 430 errors and timeout errors in the log. One thing that helps people is to reduce connections to something below max. Most people run too many connections for how fast their internet speed is. This can induce errors.

Actually, it is starting to look like the problem is ... no idea. It will always be one freaking part that is bad--over and over the same part. Gives up a "Bad YEnc Format" error. File size doesn't appear to matter. Had a large one d/l fine, but a small 4-part PD PDF is now giving me grief. I have 2 servers I can use--is it possible to tell Newsbin to pull 1 specific part from my other server. (3 gig monthly limit, so I can't use it as primary.)

Also, what is a decently priced good newserver?
crosgrove
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:33 am

What servers are you using now? It's not clear where your problems are coming from. Your symptoms could be a number of things.

1 - I'd try SSL.

2 - I'd try disabling your servers and do the giganews trial and see if the data is good from them.

3 - I'd try downloading something completely different in a different group and see if the problem is specific to the group you're using.

4 - I'd try removing any firewalls and virus scanners, then rebooting and trying a couple downloads. Sometimes they step on the data.

5 - I'd try it using only 1 or 2 connections to the server and see if this impacts it any.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby crosgrove » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:48 am

Well I'll be damned... I started with toggling both SSL on and dropped connections from 8 to 6, and the file Newsbin had been working on, and giving me that same error error, came through fine on the first time after the reboot.

However, just to make life fun, a second, large file I had tried before.. well, when I d/led it, Newsbin reported it needed to retry it, with no error message given. Hamster said the archive was damaged. However, there is now a new ISO sitting in that directory--which was created when said download started--ergo something decompressed it. (I am betting Newsbin.) And, when I fed the PAR to Quickpar, it said I had enough blocks to do a repair. (Yesterday it said I needed 2 more blocks.) However, the repair indicated only the SFV file needed repair. Upon then feeding the repaired files to hamster, it extracted correctly, and I now have two ISO files sitting there (different sub-dirs) with the same byte count.

Apparently, there were multiple issues at least with that file, and at least 1 of the 2 of of your suggestions took it from non-usable to usable. I will try Giganews trial next, and work through the others. Many thanks!

Update: Without changing anything else (SSL, connections from 8 to 6), files which were coming over bad are now coming over fine.
crosgrove
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support