Downloaded files list gone, now everything downloadin again

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Downloaded files list gone, now everything downloadin again

Postby DrDeathhand » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just ran into the following problem. For some reason newsbin on my side has somehow lost the information on what it already has downloaded.
The consequence is that newsbin doenst see what files it already has downloaded and thus begins to download all the files again.

So what happens is that that the old downloaded files remain where they are and newsbin just begins to download the exact same files again
but then renaming it with 0001for example, )4.part006.rar is the old name and then newsbin downloads the same file als )4.part006-(0001).rar

I want to know if there is a way to have newsbin recheck the files that it has already downloaded so that 1. it continues the download where
it has left off and 2. it doenst create the same files double.

I hope that someone can help me with this otherwise il have to delete everything newsbin was downloading and start all over again :(

Greetings from DrDeathhand
DrDeathhand
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/27/12

Re: Downloaded files list gone, now everything downloadin ag

Postby DThor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:51 pm

It's unclear exactly what you are doing. If you can sit there and watch it download a file, then it suddenly re-downloads it(which I'm doubting), then check the logging tab, there would be relevant information there. If you mean you download it, it clears out of the download queue, then the next time you restart newsbin it's back in the queue, then it sounds like the download.db3 file is either corrupt or has permission issues. If you mean you just want Newsbin to remember what it's downloaded so it won't redownload in future, then enable the duplicate check in options and it will do just that.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby DrDeathhand » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 pm

DThor wrote:It's unclear exactly what you are doing. If you can sit there and watch it download a file, then it suddenly re-downloads it(which I'm doubting), then check the logging tab, there would be relevant information there. If you mean you download it, it clears out of the download queue, then the next time you restart newsbin it's back in the queue, then it sounds like the download.db3 file is either corrupt or has permission issues. If you mean you just want Newsbin to remember what it's downloaded so it won't redownload in future, then enable the duplicate check in options and it will do just that.

DT

Dear Dthor,

What I mean is.

1. I was downloading stuff, like movies, some of them where like at 95% complete.
2. For some reason after a newsbin restart newsbin cant see the things that already have been downloaded. It doenst see things that have been download for like 5 % or 50 or 95% To be more precise you can see the download list with all the stuff
that I was downloading, but everything is at 0% while before some things where at for example 95% and 70% etc etc
3. And thus because newsbin sees everything as 0% downloaded it begins to download everything again from scratch.
4. But the original files are still there on the harddrive but like I said newsbin doesnt see them and begins to download them again under new file names.
5. I dont want that, I want newsbin to check to see if there have been downloads before and if so continue with them, soo in case of the 95%er to continue on from 95%.

What must I do to make sure newsbin reads the download dirs and then continues where I left off??
Soooo
DrDeathhand
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:32 pm

The real question is why aren't they clearing and leaving the download list. That's what you have to solve. Once you solve this, this other issue with it re-checking partial downloads will go away.

It see's the files on disk (as long as you have pars) and re-checks them and adds them to autopar. The more unfinished downloads you have on restart, the more it has to check. Hit the plus icon, look at the files, look at the par counts and see if you can figure out why they don't finish. I'm going to guess you have numerous red or black blocks in the downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DrDeathhand » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:39 am

Quade wrote:The real question is why aren't they clearing and leaving the download list. That's what you have to solve. Once you solve this, this other issue with it re-checking partial downloads will go away.

It see's the files on disk (as long as you have pars) and re-checks them and adds them to autopar. The more unfinished downloads you have on restart, the more it has to check. Hit the plus icon, look at the files, look at the par counts and see if you can figure out why they don't finish. I'm going to guess you have numerous red or black blocks in the downloads.

Quade, thanks for the help, but I think I have found the solution to this problem.

Under --> Options --> Filerename options there is an option autorename files if duplicates are found. That was turned on as default on my side. I just turned it off and restarted newsbin. Now when a download starts it just rapidly begins to count all the already downloaded data and continues where it left off.

Sooo problem solved!!!

Thanks again for all the help!!
DrDeathhand
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:59 am

Hmm, that sounds like a bug, if I follow what you're saying.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:08 am

Yeah it does sound like a bug.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dbedgood » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:55 am

I am seeing the exact same issue and have just posted a new thread here http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=30706. In the mean time I've unticked the rename duplicate file option and that seems to have sorted it for now.
"Life is just a ride" - Bill Hicks
dbedgood
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/26/06

Return to V6 Technical Support