How to unrar files with same name nzb folder but other drive

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

How to unrar files with same name nzb folder but other drive

Postby edgnoj » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:53 am

I can't get this to work anymore in NBPro 6.40B4 Build 1948:

Download nzb file in folder d:\download\nzb
Download file in name nzb file d:\download\name nzbfile1
Unrar in folder with same name on other drive x:\download\name nzbfile1

I have tried this:
Main download folder = D:\Download = OK

Downloadfolder of downloads from NZB files:
D:\Download\$(NZBFILE) = OK

UnRaR Folder:
X:\Download\$(NZBFILE) = This doesn't work, I think because there is no nzbfilename anymore. Now the extracted files are placed directly in the rootdirectory X:\download

How can I get this to work.

Excuses for my bad English :)
edgnoj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/20/11

Re: How to unrar files with same name nzb folder but other d

Postby DThor » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 am

First off, it seems you have two conflicting settings here:

Code: Select all
Download nzb file in folder d:\download\nzb
Download file in name nzb file d:\download\name nzbfile1

It won't *break*, but Newsbin will use one or the other. If you enable Download folder for downloads from NZB file, then it will use the second setting you have there. Otherwise, it will use the first for nzb files.

If I follow your question, you're asking why the unrar folder won't work, right? I think you're correct - the nzb file doesn't exist at that point so it's meaningless. Either Newsbin needs to track that information, or it needs to limit the variables available to you for some settings. I know Quade currently has all variables available everywhere while he's implementing this, but will likely go back and clean things like this up. I suppose it's possible to track that information, I have no idea how hard that would be, though.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby edgnoj » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:43 pm

I am sorry for my late response.
Is there a way to unrar the files from the downloadfolder to a folder on another disk?
example D:\Download\HouseS0101 unrar to e:\HouseS01E01 of e:\unpack\HouseS01E01

In my case i want to download a par/rar set to an SSD drive and do the repairing with par files there. After repair I want to unpack the files to another disk where every episode gets there own folder.
I hope you understand what I mean.

At this moment the Newsbin program is completely useless for me with this new options.

I have to use Newsleecher now, because this program has the unrar folder option and Newsbin doesn't have this option anymore. :cry:
edgnoj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Nothing has gone. It's just changed, and is more flexible.

In Options/Setup, enable the Unrar folder. Select the *Browse* button to set it to the location on your SSD. You only need to use the edit button if you want to use variables.

Set the Main Download Folder to wherever you want the final files to go.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 pm

There's might be a missing item to do what you want. You want to download to one folder, then unrar to another drive and folder and have that folder include the NZB filename right?

Dthor's way will work but, I'm not sure it'll bring the NZB filename path segment forward.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby TMM » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:56 pm

presently I love the new path options the flexibility is much better than the previous way :) one thing I have noticed people simply do not like the change which is a real shame, it would great simply did not automatically assume that you do a little bit more complicated than a box you are taking away features but the human mind is weird thing now I'm not making the original poster of the message or simply saying that people should not automatically assume that just because something is different doesn't mean they are to no longer able to have the functionality without even trying the new implementation but as stated above the human mind does not like change
TMM
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/04/10

Postby TMM » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:16 am

I hope you can understand what you say I am disabled and use really unpredictable speech recognition software which is meant to be the best in the world. I paid quite a lot of money for it
but yet to come out looking like a 10-year-old wrote it sometimes
TMM
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/04/10

Postby edgnoj » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:14 am

The only thing I need is automatic unpacking downloaded files in seperate directorys on another drive. As long as this program can't do such a simple task it is useless for me. When I bought this program it had this option and now they removed it. For me this is a terrible mistake. I don't need alle this fancy new tools. What I need is a program that works the way it did before. Perhaps you can let the users decide to use the old or new setup tools?
Sorry, but I don't have the time and the energy to get used to all the new fancy possibilities with trial and error. I just need the old rock solid program back
edgnoj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:46 am

edgnoj wrote:The only thing I need is automatic unpacking downloaded files in seperate directorys on another drive. As long as this program can't do such a simple task it is useless for me. When I bought this program it had this option and now they removed it. For me this is a terrible mistake. I don't need alle this fancy new tools. What I need is a program that works the way it did before. Perhaps you can let the users decide to use the old or new setup tools?
Sorry, but I don't have the time and the energy to get used to all the new fancy possibilities with trial and error. I just need the old rock solid program back

The facility to un-rar onto a different drive is certainly still there on the main setup screen, so at that level the facility has not been removed. There are now 3 paths you can specify - the main download path, the download path for NZB files and the unrar path.

What I am not sure is whether all the new path substitution variables are working correctly when you try and add them to the unrar path. However if any are not working that will be a bug in the current beta rather than by intent. The whole point of a beta program is to identify and rectify such bugs.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby edgnoj » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:49 am

DThor wrote:Nothing has gone. It's just changed, and is more flexible.

In Options/Setup, enable the Unrar folder. Select the *Browse* button to set it to the location on your SSD. You only need to use the edit button if you want to use variables.

DT

Yes ok, but if I download 10 tv episodes I don't want to edit all the 10 variables for this files.
Because If I don't do that all the episodes are thrown in one large downloadfolder.
I need all the episodes unpacked in different folders without fooling around with different folder settings for each episode.
edgnoj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:06 am

edgnoj wrote:

DT

Yes ok, but if I download 10 tv episodes I don't want to edit all the 10 variables for this files.
Because If I don't do that all the episodes are thrown in one large downloadfolder.
I need all the episodes unpacked in different folders without fooling around with different folder settings for each episode.

I do not understand this point :? The whole point of them being variables is that you do NOT have to edit them. They are substituted with the value of the variable that is specific to that download.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby edgnoj » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:30 am

itimpi wrote:
edgnoj wrote:

DT

I do not understand this point :? The whole point of them being variables is that you do NOT have to edit them. They are substituted with the value of the variable that is specific to that download.

No, I don't think you understand what I mean.
Unpacking to another drive works --> U:\ = OK
Unpacking to a specified unrar path works --> U:\unpack = OK
Unpacking to folder per download does not work automatic --> U:\Unpack\houseS01E01 and then U:\Unpak\houseS01E02 and then DexterS02E12... = NOT OK
I don't think this is possible and that is my problem. I don't know if this is a bug or perhaps it is simply not possible to do this anymoren
edgnoj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 am

Unpacking to folder per download does not work automatic --> U:\Unpack\houseS01E01 and then U:\Unpak\houseS01E02 and then DexterS02E12... = NOT OK

I think there needs to path an additional option as I said. "$(SOURCEPATH)" or something like that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby edgnoj » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Quade wrote:

I think there needs to path an additional option as I said. "$(SOURCEPATH)" or something like that.

Yes, I think the program needs this option.
For the time being I have to use Newsleecher. I hope Newsbin can solve this problem in the future, as it is completely useless for me now.
edgnoj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby edgnoj » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:58 am

Back to 6.33 again and everything is fine now :D
edgnoj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support