Number of connections for header downloads?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Number of connections for header downloads?

Postby wanman34 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:15 am

I use usenetserver.com with a service that allows 20 connections. Is it normal for Newsbin Pro 6.34 to only use 1 connection when downloading headers?

The last several months have been extremely painful when trying to D/L headers from large groups. I've read some of the other posts and seems I'm not the only one with the issue. Is the only solution to move away from usenetserver.com?

Thanks
wanman34
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/25/03

Re: Number of connections for header downloads?

Postby itimpi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 am

It should be using one connection per group. I agree this can still be an issue with the largest groups but at least multiple groups download in parallel.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:34 am

How about hitting the update button and getting all the headers for all the groups at once? You can also set Newsbin to download headers periodically say, once an hour, so there's never much to download. Without compression, you'll never get faster header download speeds than your connection speed.

My 2 servers both do header compression, I can't imagine doing headers without it any more. I see effective header download speeds over 500 Mbps with compression.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DThor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 am

Keep in mind if you've set your connections to the max(in your case, 20), you run a solid risk of getting errors due to a connection dropping, newsbin reconnects immediately, but the server end hasn't had time to clear out the old connect state. To be safe, I rarely set my connections to more than half available to my account, and in general as few as possible.

Just sayin'

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support