The Server rejected my login

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

The Server rejected my login

Postby alibeth » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Im new to this and I have no idea what im doing. I just keep getting a critical error message saying the server rejected my login 502-Authentication Failed. Help pleeeease
alibeth
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/01/12

Re: The Server rejected my login

Postby DThor » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Well, what the full message said was:

Code: Select all
ERROR NNTPSocket - NNTP Perform Auth - news.usenetserver.com-The server rejected your login - contact your news service's support department. It's not a Problem with Newsbin : 502 Authentication Failed

and you should do what it suggests. Basically, either you got your login details wrong, or your subscription might have run out with the news provider and you had missed it. It's easy to miss.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby alibeth » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for the help. I have already tried the support department and they had damaging winds and have no power right now and cant help. I just purchased this today and copy and pasted the key right from the email and have triple checked it.
alibeth
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/01/12

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 pm

You need:

1 - Software - Like Newsbin

2 - A news server which you typically have to pay for.

To download from usenet. Reading between the lines it sounds like you bought a key for Newsbin (which is good) but, you need a login for your news server too. It seems like you're confusing the key you got when buying Newsbin for the password you need to access your news server.

We - Newsbin are mostly down due to high winds but, I doubt if that impacts your news server (though it's possible I'm wrong). Did you sign up with a news server and did they send you a username and password?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support