6.40b4.1948- GuiItems.db3 path IGNORED !

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.40b4.1948- GuiItems.db3 path IGNORED !

Postby driverdude » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Probably bug in 6.40b4.1948- GuiItems.db3 path IGNORED from redirect in main INI file !

Closely following the posted user manuals, when moving the entire data directory to another location, and then deleting all files EXCEPT NewsBin.nbi, and properly adding path internally in the one location, the first time newsbin is launched via desktop item that was used merely twice total before, the app incorrectly creates a new GuiItems.db in the OLD directory containing merely modified NewsBin.nbi, and this new GuiItems.db is erroneously set to default values not honoring prior saved FONT and other gui choices. All other features work fine in redirect though.

I strongly prefer NOT to put active NewsBin.nbi next to the real GuiItems.db3 , because I desire C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Newsbin to allow app to always "'just work", the manual indicates this is allowed (or used to be before this bug)

prior to this bug observation newsbin was set up with 2 servers, a slave and a master, one newsgroup added, less than a gigabyte ever downloaded ever since install. same boot session.
Virgin Windows 7 Pro 64, with only video driver , firefox latest, and origin and battlefield installed, cleaner than any conceivable system setup on a stable 8GB 4core machine.

newsbin was semi fresh install, first ever of newsbin in my life for me, but I have used 6 other newsreaders thousands of times.

DEMO install of newsbin in 64bit, not regged, if that means anything. (I am a mac systems developer and considering switching to windows for usenet needs, though my other bug report I posted shows frequent CRASHES of newsbin on a clean machine If newsbin can handle 12 straight hours of downloads without a crash. I guess I will buy a reg key pronto)

I would post this elsewhere, or avoid posting it if already posted, but beta testers in eval mode of this product whom are wholly new to evaluating it prior to purchase. I have not regged because I am very new to newsbin, and a longtime mac programmer considering witching to Windows 7 64 for usenet purposes, mainly seeking feature of affixed usenet subjectline (NTFS Alternate Data Stream "SummaryInformation" comment field PID_COMMENTS). Tested and works in Windows 7 via discrete C calls. http://sedna-soft.de/summary-information-stream/
I wanted to entrust "descript.ion" log file alone, and not the NTFS ADS comment, but I fear frequent crashes might prove it missing lines, and now I get frequent newsbin crashes (refer to other posts)

I SUSPECT IT IS TRIVIAL TO REPRODUCE BUG

BUG EFFECT NEGLIGIBLE but potentially serious root cause

WORKAROUND : just copy the real one in relocated area back atop the wayward clone GuiItems.db3
WORKAROUND 2 : give up on naked file in old location and double click on moved file to soft associate it

====

I hope this helps

OVERALL I LOVE THIS PRODUCT and If I can find a build version that is stable for 12 hours and still populates "SummaryInformation" comment field PID_COMMENTS, then I will pounce and register
driverdude
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/29/12

Re: 6.40b4.1948- GuiItems.db3 path IGNORED !

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:08 pm

1 - The NBI file can go anywhere.

2 - The GUIItems is in a fixed location so, I always know where it is.

3 - There is no connection of any kind between the two.

This isn't special for the beta. This is the way it's been for years now. If you move the GUIItems, it'll regen it in the same fixed location. This seems to be what you're reporting and that's how it works.

There's a pointer in the registry that points to the NBI file. When you move the data folder and change the data folder path in the NBI file. You have to update the registry pointer. You do that by double-clicking the NBI in it's new location.

In a nutshell if I was moving the data folder I'd.

1 - Exit Newsbin.

2 - Move the data folder to the new location, including the NBI file but, not GUIItems

3 - Manually edit the NBI in the new location to reflect the new data path.

4 - Double-click the NBI in the new location to reset the pointer in the registry.

At that point you're done moving the data folder. I've toyed with the idea of making the data folder = the folder the NBI happens to be in but, for legacy reasons, I suspect that would be problematic.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: 6.40b4.1948- GuiItems.db3 path IGNORED !

Postby driverdude » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Ah, thanks for information. I am VERY happy that I can move nearly all except that one SQL DB file to another partition. I have 12 boot partitions using the awesome BootIt Bare Metal and keep each OS C: drive tiny, and even hack older XP to use other drives for temp storage and stuff to keep every bootable OS , C: drive at exactly 12 GB free at all times, no more, no less. There are many out there that probably plan on moving your data folder to a larger drive, so that they can frequently backup and restore their core OS partitions. People with huge C drives are people who almost never back up.

THANKS FOR NOTIFYING ME IT IS BY DESIGN!

great program and astounding set of features.
driverdude
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/29/12

Return to V6 Technical Support