Error after disk failure

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Error after disk failure

Postby b0rn30r1b » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi

I had the disk containing the folder I was using as my destination (unrar) folder fail yesterday. Newsbin is on my C drive, and the destination folder was on my G drive. After G crashed, I started Newsbin and received the following dialog box: "error failed to find or create the download folder no files can be downloaded until this is fixed by either changing to a valid download folder or creating a folder to hold the downloads" After clicking 'ok,' Newsbin started and I changed the unrar folder to the C drive, then closed and reopened Newsbin only to get the same error.

The reader seems to be downloading the parts, but not to the folder on C that I specified, ie., they go into my C:\ ...\documents\ folder instead of C:\...\documents\my videos, and if I try to unrar them using newsbin, I get a message saying that it can't find the parts.

I think I may have to reinstall Newsbin, but am not sure how to go about it, and will the error go away if I do.
b0rn30r1b
n00b
n00b

Re: Error after disk failure

Postby DThor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Well, I wouldn't reinstall, I doubt that will solve it. In the hassle of losing the hard drive, odds are you made an error in locating where you want the unrar to go, or there's another setting in there referencing the dead drive. First thing I would try is disable the custom unrar path altogether - you don't need it really anyway since you're all on one drive for now. See if that helps, if not check the permissions of the download folder. Also, it might be worth doing a search through your nbi config file for G:\ - just in case some other setting slipped between your fingers.

Oh, also, I believe if you have existing downloads in the queue, they will be stuck with the old paths(thus won't work). I think you can select them in the download queue and make an nzb from them, then clear that out, load the nzb, and re-download.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: Error after disk failure

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:25 pm

The unrar folder isn't where the files download. That's the download folder. You need to change the download folder to reflect the fact the G drive isn't there any more.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support