win 7 admin\user confusion

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

win 7 admin\user confusion

Postby Semel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Ok here we go:

1) i installed nb under user
2) moved nbdata to e:\xx\nbdata
3) entered reg info, settings etc

i run it- high speed mode is disabled- asks me to run it under admin

i run it under admin- of course all reg info settings etc are not available

so im trying without installing under admin to figure out how can i move admin's nbdata to e:\xx\nbdata_admin and assign nb exe to it
how do i do it properly?
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/09

Re: win 7 admin\user confusion

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:42 pm

All you have to do is right click the shortcut and select "Run as Administrator" when you start it. You can modify the shortcut to make this happen all the time too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Semel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 pm

What shortcut do you mean?
i run nb.exe under admin and its like running it from the scrath
i cant run nb.ini as admin when i move it to another folder. the option is not there
so how do i assosiate new nbdata folder to nb.exe running as admin
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Run it as your regular user and do what I suggested. You don't have to do anything special to turn this mode on. So, log in as your regular user. Then right click the shortcut you start Newsbin with and select "Run as Administrator". If you normally let an NZB start Newsbin, don't. Start it by hand using my suggestion.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby alexander038 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Quade wrote:All you have to do is right click the shortcut and select "Run as Administrator" when you start it. You can modify the shortcut to make this happen all the time too.

If i do that on my vista laptop or win7 desktop it leads me to the trial of the admin account. (DThor pointed out some things a while ago about stricter account folder rights in 7 and vista in a reply to a person who also had problems with the highspeed file creation mode i belief)

Note: i must say that in my case i didn't see any differences in results between the highspeed file creation
mode and the not highspeed file creation mode on a 120 mb internet connection.
Last edited by alexander038 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alexander038
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/27/11

Postby Semel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Then right click the shortcut you start Newsbin with and select "Run as Administrator"

when i do it i have data folder on disk C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Newsbin

how do i move to another drive it without relogging as admin?
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:13 am

Seems like some confusion here. I see two issues in this thread, one is related to the hi speed write operation, which to throw in my unasked-for opinion I think is a waste of time. I don't doubt when you're creating a 50G file there will be a hit, but just how heavy a real world hit that is, in terms of lost productivity, I'm thinking it's not worth running a user application as administrator on a daily basis. Yup, that's the way XP worked, and that's why it was such a mess, security - wise. Why Microsoft disabled fastwrite for end users is a valid argument and a worthy one, another case of them thinking they know what's best for you, but it's there.

The primary thread is, as far as I can see, about how to install newsbin with a second drive as the data drive. It's unclear to me why there's all the admin talk when all you need to do is install newsbin as your user account, then as admin log in and move your data folder to the other drive, and then set the permissions of that folder(and recursively) to be read/write by anyone. Then, you're done with admin, log out and back in as user, edit your data folder in the nbi to your new location, and you're in business.

Now, if you've decided that life isn't complete without fastwrite and that's what this is about, always log in as user, but follow quade's advice and right click run as administrator. You can make a shortcut, as he suggested and right click and set the compatibility properties to do this by default.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:44 am

Typically you can move the data folder without being admin though. I think it sounds like Semel got 1/2 way through moving the data folder and is sort of stuck.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Semel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:31 am

I was just about to go into details where exactly i got stuck but it seems i managed to do the trick

I guess i did it somehow at night and was damn sleepy to properly check it out lol

thanx guys now it can fast write=)

PShaving switched from win xp sp3 32 to win 7 64 6Gb ram i feel like my old PC got a new life =)
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support