All Icons Now Launch Newsbin 6

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

All Icons Now Launch Newsbin 6

Postby trident » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37 am

I have a file association problem that just happened tonight. I was using Binsearch.info to download an .nzb file. I normally use Newzbin, but I have used binsearch before.

When it asked me which program to open the .nzb file with, I told it Newsbin Pro v6 which I just installed over my version 5 last week.

Now every icon launches Newsbin Pro instead of the program it is supposed to run.

I've been running Newsbin Pro for years and years and using both Binsearch and Newzbin without this problem happening before.

When my Windows XP boots now it tries to run 50 copies of Newsbin instead of what is in my startup folder and all the things that normally run in my tray, like my virus checker.

Does anyone know how to get my file associations back to what they were before? I can't run system restore or pretty much anything else. Newsbin runs instead.

Thanks,
Paul
trident
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/11/03

Re: All Icons Now Launch Newsbin 6

Postby trident » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:35 am

Nevermind, System Restore to the rescue!

Whew!

I was able to open a dos window by doing a ctrl-alt-delete and holding down control while selecting New Task with the mouse. Navigating to c:/winnt/system32/restore and running the system restore utility, rstrui.exe worked. Running an .exe in a shell didn't launch Newsbin like it did in Windows.

But, I think this might be some kind of bug. I need to install 6.31rc3 and see if that changes anything.

I'll do a System Restore Point first though.

Paul
trident
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/11/03

Re: All Icons Now Launch Newsbin 6

Postby Quade » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:44 am

That's probably what I was going to suggest. A restore or re-install windows. I turn off system restore so, for me it would be "new install" time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support